Skip to main content

J 555 wheel change, urgent please help me

• claire
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Nov 2006 09:25 #5749 by claire
Replied by claire on topic J 555 wheel change, urgent please help me
Thanks so much for this.

I have been in contact with a friend of Mr Lees in America as he bought dads Daimler that just one pebble beach. He has asked one of Mr Lees car men and they think they can help me,if not at least i have some leads now where to get it.

My dad will be very grateful.

Claire
pp Barry Burnett
UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
09 Nov 2006 07:21 #5748 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic J 555
Hello,

The Car was restored by Fran Roxas for Walter Cunny. The car has as nice a mechanical restoration as any Duesenberg and since restoration car has been taken up to speeds in excess of 90 mph (just do not do it though as car has not been driven enough in recent years and it is no longer a fresh restoration or parked outside the restorers shop in case something went wrong). Do not go above 50 to 55 for a good while till you get used to it. Also the wheels are not balanced and the tires have flat spots. There is a crack in the lock ring on what used to be the driver's side rear wheel and you should get a replacement lock ring from Don Sommer (addr. below). The car never had any tools with it since restored. Their other car J 330 had its original set and it was shared among the two cars.

To get a proper wrench - And you need a proper one and then wrap it with electrical tape or you will bugger up the chrome, call Randy Ema in California at 714-633-3883 or Brian Joseph in Detroit at Phone: 1-248-269-9414, Fax: 1-248-362-1944, Email: <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] ,
Online Parts Department Hours: 8AM - 4PM EST Monday thru Friday,
Classic &amp; Exotic Service, Inc. Attn: Online Parts Department, 2032 Heide
Troy, MI 48084 USA.

Same wrench fits a Rolls Royce PI Springfield car and I believe a 1928 and 1929 Cadillac. Don Sommer in Michigan may also have made them at 248-380-2839, www.donsommer.com .

P.S. There is nothing more rewarding than a whole day spent pulling wheels off and cleaning 8 white walls then polishing the chrome wheels; then for excitement you can clean the whitewalls on the back side of the sidemounts and polish those wheels without making a mess of the car (paint on face plate of metal covers chip easily - I would never take them off). Or you could just beat yourself senseless.

JMM

JMM

• claire
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Nov 2006 10:26 #5732 by claire
Thanks first of all to John, I have just found his reply to my earlier post.

Situation now. My dad has had this car, torpedo phaeton for 2 years here in England in his collection.

He has never driven the car as he doesnt know how to change a wheel incase of a puncture, he says he needs a special spanner?

He has just been told he has cancer and wants to drive the car before anything happens to him.

Please help me with this.

Claire