Skip to main content

duesenberg j 555

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
25 Jun 2011 18:22 #20349 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic J555 now torpedo phaeton
I saw it at Auburn several years ago and may have some snapshots. A beautiful car. It should be a matter of law that rebodied cars be identified as such,especially reproductions no matter how finely made. I saw a Murphy convertible sedan about 20 years ago at Auburn that had had a body swapped off another Duesenberg and the owner didn't know it until I pointed it out. He was sure I was wrong until he looked at the papers that came with the car. It had been a LeGrand or LeBaron DCP and carried engine J482. I think it was in Maryland as the DCP but have no idea about when the body swap occured.It was,at least swapped off another Duesenberg and not a repro. I wonder where the original DCP body is now and on which if any car.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Jun 2011 23:20 #20347 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic duesenberg j 555
Keep them running - that's when they're happiest and the owners are, too. I'm sorry to hear about your father but am sure he would happy you are continuing to enjoy the car.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Steve Derus
  • Registered
More
22 Jun 2011 04:40 #20344 by Steve Derus
Replied by Steve Derus on topic duesenberg j 555
Claire,

We'd all love to see some photos of the car if possible!

Condolences on the loss of your father.

Steve Derus
Minden NV USA

• claire
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 Jun 2011 23:07 #20341 by claire
Replied by claire on topic duesenberg j 555
I just wanted to come back to my old post.

My father died 2 years ago. We have been a long time sorting things but we still have this car and we are driving it here in the UK.

• claire
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
02 Nov 2007 21:16 #8590 by claire
Thanks all that helped on this.

• 250cal
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2006 05:48 #5480 by 250cal
Replied by 250cal on topic Duesenberg J555
This is history from my DB'

Summary 2004: 2579/J555. Roxas replica of Brunn Torpedo Phaeton, one of 5 replicas built. Uses chassis which originally carried a Willoughby Berline with the orginal engine.
2006 August 19 ACD web: I used to own the body for J555 in Ohio about 15 years ago. I was in the process of mounting it on a Packard/Henny hearse chassis when I sold it. When did it arrive in the UK? Bill Bicknell
2006 February 16 ACD Web forum: My first post on this site. My Dad has recently purchased J 555 here in the UK. What can you tell me about this car please? Thanks, Claire
2005 August 6, RM Meadow Brook, A#60 2608/J582.Sold $1,650,000., has SC from J555 Catalog tells of Bahres restoration of wreck, which occurred in 1944/45, Bahre used original body. except for 4 missing doors and some minor missing pieces which he got from California Metal shapers. Catalog says chassis 2608 but text says 2470.
2004 July 3, Coys Chiswick: 1934 Duesenberg Model J Torpedo Phaeton Chassis 555. No mention of rebody!!!!! Four pages of history of Duesenberg, only specific car description is; "this stunning example has spent many years in a private collection here in England. and is fitted with a Torpedo Phaeton, a stunning example of one of the most distinctive body styles of the time". Restored to the highest possible standards. No estimate "Refer to Department" Photo of car has front plate, "J555 Brunn Torpedo Phaeton" Was it b ought at Auburn in 1995
1995 November, AI p12: Five rebodied cars have been built & match the 3 surviving original torpedo phaetons. No S/N's provided.
1995 September 12, OCW p17 No S/N, Sold $520,000 at Kruse Auburn . With 4% BP = $540,800. Assume this is J555 rebdy?
1995 August, Kruse Auburn cat p 6. (see also Weaver auction catalog, p48 ad for Auburn auction) Blue, shows single driving light, 8 into 1 exhaust, matches Carey 1992 description-therefore must be #9 Auburn catalog photo is rear 3 quarters. Coachwork completely rebuilt by Fran Roxas. Only 5 original Torpedo Phaetons produced, the 1st and only designed by Gordon Buehrig & built by Brunn, hidden door hinges, custom interior, single exhaust header, dual exhaust cutouts. 45 miles since total restoration, winner Pebble Beach.
1993 January 27, Kruse Scottsdale, 1994 Auction results book p 105: "1934 J555 Torpedo Phaeton" HB $1m" (Note no listing in AML v3#10
1993 January, AMJ Carey, B-J Expo: Dk blue/brown with tan top. Brunn style Torpedo Phaeton, dual WS. Recreated by Fran Roxas. Beautiful shape and workmanship. Solid outside 8 into 1 exhaust. Asking $1.5m . (12/04/02 Can't find this issue to verify #'s!)
1992 November 16, AMJ Rick Carey, The Auction, Las Vegas November 7: Torpedo Phaeton-Roxas. in Expo, Frame #2579 (no engine #) Dark blue/tan, tan top Brunn style DC, body recreated by Fran Roxas. Beautiful workmanship and shape, solid outside 8 into1 exhaust, dual enclosed side mounts, chrome wires, single Pilot Ray, & trumpet horn., Expo car, Asking $1.5m
1992 November 7, World Classic Expo: Roxas recreation on chassis #2579
1988 August, Pebble Beach Concours: Entered in New Coachwork class, 2 other cars, Packards.
1982 Roe TPP, p 207: 2579/J555. Photo of modified Willoughby. The rear of this car, originally a Willoughby Berline appears to have been adapted from a GM body of the late thirties. The alteration into a convertible sedan was done by persons unknown in 1939, and the car is now owned in Chicago.
1975 Elbert, p187: 2579/J555. Willoughby Berline. LWB

John

More
20 Aug 2006 01:22 #5259 by Bicknell
Replied by Bicknell on topic J 555
I used to own the body for J555 in Ohio about 15 years ago. I was in the process of mounting it on a Packard/Henny hearse chassis when I sold it. When did it arrive in the UK?
Bill Bicknell

• claire
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2006 15:49 #4391 by claire
Thanks, its is a torpedo phaeton my Dad has. Do you know of any others in the UK apart from the Haynes Motor Museum?

• rockyvoss
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2006 06:20 #4388 by rockyvoss
Replied by rockyvoss on topic J555
HI CLAIR, ACCORDING TO MY NOTES J555 CHASIS #2579 WAS ORIGINALY A WILLOUGHBY BERLINE, IT WAS REMODELED TO A CONVERTIBLE SEDAN IN 1939. IT IS ON PAGE 207 OF THE ROE BOOK.
THESE SAME NUMBERS WERE ON A CAR LISTED AS A TORPEDO PHAETON IN AN AUCTION IN LAS VEGAS IN 1992,BODY BUILT BY FRAN ROXAS, AGAIN IN BARRETT JACKSON AUCTION IN 1997 LISTED AS A 34 PHAETON, PROBABLY THE SAME BODY AS THE EARLIER DATE.

ROCKY VOSS

• claire
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2006 10:44 #4378 by claire
duesenberg j 555 was created by claire
My first post on this site. My Dad has recently purchased J 555 here in the UK. What can you tell me about this car please?

Thanks, Claire