Driving Auburn to Las Vegas ACD Meet

• jhcarlady
  • jhcarlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
30 Oct 2015 04:07 #30498 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady created the topic: Driving Auburn to Las Vegas ACD Meet
We started the trip to Las Vegas for the Western Meet. It was raining and cold when we began the trip this morning in the ’35 Speedster. It rained throughout the morning and started out about 38 degrees. We got about 20 miles down the road and decided the side curtains needed to be on, not for the rain – but the cold. Mike had several layers of clothing on and so did I; my scarf wrapped around my head like a burka. We were hoping to get far enough south to have warmer weather, but so far it’s still very cold. It does look promising for warmer weather tomorrow though. By noon it had warmed up to 42 degrees. We started out driving back roads, but we decided to that it was too cold to enjoy the scenery. We took 31/196/94 south to Michigan City, Indiana. Not wanting to enjoy the traffic around Chicago, we took back roads south to Watseka, IL, then west to Mc Leon, Il. We plan to cross into Iowa at Keokuk and shoot southwest from there.

I apologize for not posting photos. I load my photos on photobucket and my photo bucket is full. I had already erased the photos from the camera after I loaded them to my site, so I could not repost them to Mike’s and form a photobucket account there. We took photos of the beautifully colored autumn trees, a nice Halloween display, and the corn fields stripped bare and plowed already with grey skies in the background. I'll try to have pictures tomorrow.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
31 Oct 2015 01:11 #30501 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: Re: Driving Auburn to Las Vegas ACD Meet
We started today on a foggy note. The windows were fogged over and it was foggy outside. We removed the side-curtain on one side and the windows cleared in a short time. The fog took a little longer to burn off. We passed some windmills that were totally concealed by the fog until we got close. We continued west for a while, then South. We spent most of the day on US57.

This is just one of the several metal scrap sculptures in someone’s yard.

We passed a few places that were decorated for Halloween. There was site with a line of old tractors and hit & miss motors. Late in the day it began to rain. We stopped for the night at Nevada, MO.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
01 Nov 2015 01:51 #30508 by jhcarlady
Pictures I had trouble posting yesterday

[url=http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/mikespeed35/media/DSCN5566.jpg.html" [/url]

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
01 Nov 2015 02:09 #30509 by jhcarlady
Today was another cool, foggy morning. Here is a steam shovel we saw this morning as we were traveling through the remainder of Missouri.

This is today's winner for Halloween decorations.

We saw these Longhorns by El Reno, OK. near the Oklahoma City. Mike has never seen such large horns as these had, more that a 6' span for sure.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
01 Nov 2015 02:34 #30510 by jhcarlady
Another picture of the fabulous Longhorn’s

As the weather warmed up, we were finally able to take the side curtains off the car. We stopped at an Indian gift shop, here are some of the attractions advertised to get you to stop.

Here’s Mike and the buffalo. Today we drove through the remainder of MO, a little bit of Kansas, and south to Tulsa. From there we took the toll road to 40. We ended the tour today at Elk City, OK.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
02 Nov 2015 02:56 #30515 by jhcarlady
The sky was much brighter this morning, no clouds, no rain. We took the side-curtains off right away this morning. By noon we put the top down and started shedding our coats. There was not much to see…we drove for miles before we had a photo opportunity, the leaning water tower on route 66/ 40. Notice the windmills in the background. There was a constant line of windmills for about 45 miles along 40 through the panhandle of Texas.

We took route 66 for a short drive through Tucumcari. Just happened to see this old car at the Blue Swallow.

Mike thought he would save some money tonight at this Payless Inn….

As we neared Albuquerque, NM we could see the snow capped mountains in a distance.

We stopped at a trading post for a break. We have been here before. Too bad we did not have room for the stuffed bison or bear. Please note the price of the bison. (It was the same price, several years ago when we did route 66 with our corvette)

This is a view from our hotel. The sun went down and a half hour later you could not see the mountain.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds