Driving Auburn Speedster to Durango 2015

• jhcarlady
  • jhcarlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
23 Aug 2015 02:19 #30124 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: Re: Driving Auburn Speedster to Durango 2015
We left this morning, retracing the route we came on. We learned there was a music festival on the other route we were thinking about and we thought it might hamper getting a hotel for the night.

We drove past Chimney rock, and continued through Wolf Creek Pass and slowly out of the mountains and back through Del North, and a tunnel through the mountains. We took a few parting photos of the car with mountains in the back- ground.

The mountains faded into the background and the land was flat and desolate. For miles we didn’t see another car. The sky is very hazy especially in the mountains. We heard the haze is smoke from the fires in California. We have been traveling the Sante Fe trail. There are several fields with cattle. Fields are mainly grazing land but there are also lots of soybeans and hay fields. Just outside Las Animas, CO. we passed a huge cattle feed lot. As we neared Lamar, CO. the wind picked up and dust is flying. We stopped for the night in Lamar, CO. after traveling around 350 miles today.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2015 16:39 #30126 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic: Re: Driving Auburn Speedster to Durango 2015
Awesome! You must be traveling very light given the amount of space inside that golf door.

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
24 Aug 2015 01:52 #30129 by jhcarlady
3 photos from the junk yard we passed outside of Lamar, KS. How many cars / trucks can you identify? Can you find the car made in France?

Just outside of Sharon Springs, KS there were several huge fields of sunflowers. One had a large center pivot irrigation systems at least 19 sections. The guy we asked said they are around 150' per section and the big one we saw would cover a ½ mile.

We stopped in Oakley for lunch. Just outside of town was a beautiful bronze statue of “Buffalo Bill” Cody shooting a buffalo. There was also a billboard and cultural center telling about Bill Cody and Annie Oakley as well as the History of the town of Oakley.

Most of the route we traveled today was very desolate. There were many times we could see no houses or cars for miles and miles.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
24 Aug 2015 02:09 #30131 by jhcarlady
I will try to take a picture of the car packed and a picture of the bags ready to pack. Mike has tools, spare parts and his bags, plus my bags and the computer, plus our jackets, driving gloves and caps, all packed tightly in the back along with the car cover, tonal cover and cleaning supplies. Oh and there is also the top and the spare tire. Of course anything that happens to get behind the spare tire is gone.

We make good use of the car bags we are given from the various tours we attend. I put zippers in them and we use them as some of our suitcases. We also take tide pods and fabric softener sheets with us and do wash whenever we run low on clothes. If I happen to purchase souvenirs I have to shop and ship, or arrange for someone else to take it home for me. This time I purchased a gorgeous Indian pottery vase, Kay and Tom took it home for me and I will get it from them at Auburn.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

More
24 Aug 2015 17:31 #30134 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic: Re: Driving Auburn Speedster to Durango 2015
I have never had the displeasure of having to change a flat, but now that you mention it getting that spare out must be a bear.

Btw, compliments on the blackwall tires and hubcaps. They look fantastic.

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
26 Aug 2015 01:26 #30145 by jhcarlady
I was unable to connect to my server last night so I will post yesterdays pictures tonight. These are are a couple of pictures from Sunday that I missed and Mike thought I should share.

We saw three of these windmill blades being transported. They are huge set up, but seeing the blades individually transported gives you a real sense of how huge they are.

We drove by this windmill parts and repair place.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds