Check your speedometer for accuracy

More
28 Jan 2004 18:39 #1249 by PushnFords
PushnFords replied the topic: Re: #3 Cars can be driven!

Bill Hummel wrote: YOUR #1 MAY BE FUN, BUT A #3 WILL SET YOU FREE !!

Now that is a bumper sticker I'd buy if I saw it! lol I have a magnet for one of my Fords that says "Street Rods are made to be driven". It isn't exactly a street rod but goes along with the "DRIVEIT" personalized plates. It was my daily driver for a while. Hope it will be again some day!

I guess to me the enjoyment from owning a car is to take it out for a drive and to connect with the time period when it was made. Turn the radio (if equipped) to period music and find a deserted road with no modern clutter.......very relaxing......

Derek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2004 01:43 #1257 by Ric Simpson
Ric Simpson replied the topic: Re: Check your speedometer for accuracy

Bill Hummel wrote: How many of you know how accurate your speedometer is?

I spent this afternoon checking mine. How did I do it? With a Magellan handheld GPS... You won't get much more accurate than that!

Hi! I travel with a Garmin StreetPilot III in whatever I am driving. I used it when I brought my Cord to Auburn about 4 years ago. I was very disappointed to see that at 2000 rpm I was doing about 54 mph. I was sure for almost 50 years that 2000 rpm is exactly 60 mph. (47/10 rear end sic) The car shimmied something awful too! It wasn't a very pleasant journey! (475 miles) Before leaving for home I was determined to: stop the squeeling around corners, correct the shimmy. First move was to check the air pressure. I bought a new electronic type guage. I believe the guage! it said I had about 15 lbs in a couple of the tires! I like to travel with about 35! Blew up the tires, car ran like a dream! 2000 rpm = 60 mph! again. Cord ran so well, I had a marvellous time driving north heading for Port Huron. The StreetPilot sits resting against the dash and the shift column. 2 miles from the Bridge the Cord died! I had forgotten my undersize gas tank! I ran out of gas! In about an hour, I was back on the road, flying home! 90% of the fun is driving the car, don't miss out on doing it!
When the engine was rebuilt with a lot of machining done by Jim Oddy, Egge pistons were used. No problems! They run quiet and well! I had it out about 4 weeks ago, I am refusing to drive anything in the weather around Niagara at this time! All the best, Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds