Check your speedometer for accuracy

• Bill Hummel
  • Bill Hummel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
More
26 Jan 2004 03:19 #1238 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel created the topic: Check your speedometer for accuracy
How many of you know how accurate your speedometer is?

I spent this afternoon checking mine. How did I do it? With a Magellan handheld GPS... You won't get much more accurate than that!

In my car, I found out that I am going considerably faster than my speedometer indicates.

Speedometer -- GPS (Actual Speed)

10 --- 14
15 --- 20
20 --- 27
30 --- 39
40 --- 51
50 --- 62
60 --- 73
70 --- 85

I suspect most ACD speedometers are more accurate than mine, I doubt the factory had a Turbohydromatic 400 transmission in mind when they installed the speedometer!

I will bring my GPS to Auburn this fall, if any of you want to check your speedometer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2004 05:59 #1239 by Lycoming-8
Lycoming-8 replied the topic:
Bill,

Besides the transmission and differential ratios, the other thing that can affect the speedometer readings is the tire size currently in use versus whatever the original was. If your wheels are original, then only the aspect ratio would be possibly different.

'31 Auburn Coupe

• Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Jan 2004 02:35 #1242 by
replied the topic:
Hi Bill,
That sounds like a great way to spend the afternoon. Up here there was too much white stuff in the air to have the old car out.

I checked my speedometer a couple of years ago the old fashion way (milage markers and a stop watch), not the most accurate but when averaged out the speedometer was within a couple of MPH. I figured that was pretty good.

The GPS would be a good way to accurately check the top end, see how far over 100 mph the car will do. The roads around Auburn have some nice straight level areas.

Jim
Keep driving them!!!

• Bill Hummel
More
28 Jan 2004 07:10 #1246 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel replied the topic: Nice day for checking the speedometer
It was a wonderful Sunday afternoon in Dallas. It was bright, blue and 71 degrees. I don't have my top back from Stan's shop, so I look for moderate temperature days to drive my car.

My daughter and I had a great time blasting up and down the Dallas Tollway in the Cord. I would pick the middle lane because I was going relatively fast. When I would open it up, I would invariably see a BMW or Corvette or Porsche pull up next to me and give me the Thumbs Up!

Some of them got a real eye-opener when I approached 85 mph. I know I can go a lot faster but I was nervous with my daughter in the car. My tires LOOK new, but I don't know how long they have been on the car, so I am afraid of Dry-Rot.

I had two 12-year old Michelins with 5000 miles on them blow up on my Cadillac (on the same side of the car) while driving fast on the Tollway. So I don't push any car too fast if I am unsure of the tires.

The culmination of the trip was when I went through the Toll-Booth and the attendant said:

Oooh-weeee! I can't be chargin' you for a ride that fine!

We laughed, and he did end up charging me.

More
28 Jan 2004 15:26 #1247 by PushnFords
PushnFords replied the topic: Re: Nice day for checking the speedometer
Bill-

My personal opinion is that you just described the best way to use your car! A stock restoration is going to be extremely time consuming and expensive. If your front fenders have been modified you could be looking at a months worth of work each to get them ready for paint. Metal work on these cars can be hard and time consuming because of all the stresses left in the metal from previous work. Not to mention that the factory rarely had fenders that were smooth anyway (I've seen original seams off by 1/4"). You'll also have to worry about not damaging all the work you've already done to replace the floor and stub frame. If it were my car I guess I'd get it looking good and drive it - a lot! Enjoy the attention without some of the headache that comes with stock components. If you really want a concours original car then you may be better off buying another as a parts car or even another that has already been restored. It is always cheaper to buy a car that is finished than to have one restored yourself - providing the restoration was quality work. In my own automotive interests I've always shyed away from rare, unusual, low mileage cars. I like to drive my cars (often hard and fast) and don't want to damage or "use up" something that can't be replaced. So I'll often buy a car that has just enough wear that I don't have to worry about every little scratch and rattle and then will enjoy it imensly!

Just my .02 and continuation of your judging question,

Derek

Bill Hummel wrote: It was a wonderful Sunday afternoon in Dallas. It was bright, blue and 71 degrees. I don't have my top back from Stan's shop, so I look for moderate temperature days to drive my car.

My daughter and I had a great time blasting up and down the Dallas Tollway in the Cord. I would pick the middle lane because I was going relatively fast. When I would open it up, I would invariably see a BMW or Corvette or Porsche pull up next to me and give me the Thumbs Up!

Some of them got a real eye-opener when I approached 85 mph. I know I can go a lot faster but I was nervous with my daughter in the car. My tires LOOK new, but I don't know how long they have been on the car, so I am afraid of Dry-Rot.

I had two 12-year old Michelins with 5000 miles on them blow up on my Cadillac (on the same side of the car) while driving fast on the Tollway. So I don't push any car too fast if I am unsure of the tires.

The culmination of the trip was when I went through the Toll-Booth and the attendant said:

Oooh-weeee! I can't be chargin' you for a ride that fine!

We laughed, and he did end up charging me.

[/u]

• Bill Hummel
More
28 Jan 2004 16:00 #1248 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel replied the topic: #3 Cars can be driven!
That reminds me. At a car show I saw a beautiful Mercedes Roadster with the following bumper sticker:

YOUR #1 MAY BE FUN, BUT A #3 WILL SET YOU FREE !!

There is a lot of truth to that! Joining the ACD Club has really given me a lot of insight with regard to car prices.

There is no way I would ever buy one of these cars at an Auction, without being a member of the club. It is enlightening to hear the feedback from the other members because they know where all the cars have been and how they have been restored and maintained.

I consider my car to be my Bad Boy Reclaimation Project. He may look a little evil and be considered unpolished by some, but underneath he really is a good kid!

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds