Auburn Engine RPMs In High Range

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
17 Jun 2009 01:00 #13771 by mikespeed35
mikespeed35 replied the topic:
Hi Steve, I'm sure you are correct for the 32 Auburn speedometer but the 35-36 Auburn speedometer runs of the left rear axle shaft. As per ratios I have two 35 Auburn two speeds one with a Ratio Of 43+10 and the other with 34+8. The ratios being 4.30 and 4.25. Seems strange that they would make two ratios so close to each other.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
30 Jun 2009 03:13 #13892 by mikespeed35
I must correct a error I stated in my last post. I said I had a dual ratio rear with a ratio of 34+8. That is the date code of the rear. The ratio is 51+10. If any one wants to check the ratio of dual ratio rears it is usually stamped on the bottom passenger side of the pig between two bolts. The date code is usually stamped on the top drivers side between two bolts on the pig. The pig I refer to is the removable portion of the rear with the ring and pinion.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

More
17 Jul 2009 03:14 #14003 by Brad J.
Brad J. replied the topic:
You guys probably know this but a quick way to check your rear end ratio is with a couple pieces of tape. Pick a spot on a tire and stick the tape to the tire. Put another piece of tape on the driveshaft. Next turn the driveshaft counting how many driveshaft rotations it takes to turn the tire one rotation. You don't need the tape but it helps having a reference point. If you have the 3.40 ratio then it would be 3 complete turns and almost 1/2 turn more. 4.10 ratio would be 4 complete turns and you get the idea. Hope this is somewhat helpful. Brad

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
18 Jul 2009 02:56 #14006 by mikespeed35
Hi Brad, I've tried this method several times in high range and don't get a consistent count. Either I don't know what I'm doing or the planetary gears mess up the count. I've used this method with single speed rears and it worked every time. Is there a secret to this that I'm missing?
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

More
20 Jul 2009 01:42 #14010 by Brad J.
Brad J. replied the topic:
The spider gears have a 1:1 ratio so you might try sticking a block under one moving tire. This will only allow one wheel to spin and eliminate the possibility of brake drag on the tire you might be watching. Stopping the one wheel will give a straight shot between the ring gear to the cross shaft to the axle shaft. I've never tried this on the 2speed but it has worked on the hundreds of different style rear ends that I worked on at Eaton during my 10 year ride in R&D. I am curious to rip one apart and see how it works, but I hope it's not on the coupe.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
20 Jul 2009 02:37 #14011 by mikespeed35
I tried stopping one wheel also. In low range the rear acts as a normal single speed but in high range the power goes through the planetary gears which I think is the problem.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds