• jhcarlady
  • jhcarlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
17 May 2009 02:11 #13519 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady created the topic: driving L-29 to the eastearn meet
May 16, 2009
Having completed our trek to CA and back, we took off this morning to the east coast meet. Our start was a little late since we had to pay a few bills and pick up a prescription at the pharmacy, but at 11 AM we took off in the rain headed east on highway 8. We stopped a little after two in Fremont, OH. We got a room at the Day?s Inn then went to Jay Engler?s house. Jay showed us his cars; we swapped stories for a while, then went to dinner. After dinner we talked until it started to get dark; we said good-bye and left for our hotel.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
17 May 2009 02:14 #13520 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: driving L29 to the eastearn meet
and my husband is the one that can't spell!!!

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
18 May 2009 00:18 #13531 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: Driving L29 to the Eastern Meet
Sunday, May 17, 2009

I did our wash while Mike washed the car.

The weather is cold, and overcast, we drove with the top up today. We drove the ?black? roads out of Ohio, with the exception of a brief encounter with an interstate in Akron, OH. The west end of OH is very similar to driving through IN., flat fields filled with crops, big tractors and big equipment, and several Amish farms with their nicely maintained white buildings, and horse and buggies, and clothes hanging on the line. Just outside of Akron, we spotted the Goodyear Blimp. We were back on the black highways again, so we could pull over and take a picture.

As we neared the west end of Ohio on 224, the land became hilly and the roads started to curve more. Pennsylvania?s roads were anything but smooth. We took a series of roads zig-zagging east across the middle of the state. We searched for a hotel with the Garmin and decided on a Comfort Inn in West Kittanning, OH. When we got there, we discovered they must have had a fire?they were all boarded up and closed. There was a Quality Inn a half mile down the road so we chose that for our lodging.

We drove to a nearby restaurant and had supper. We could hear the people in the booth next to us talking about an antique car in the lot. He went out to put a note on the car. Upon returning, he saw Mike?s Glidden Tour sweatshirt, and asked if that was our car, starting another car conversation.

Mike just got back from a walk past the local nursery. The crew was out covering their plants. They told him it is supposed to get down to 28 degrees tonight. Now Mike is out draining the water from the radiator.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
19 May 2009 04:28 #13540 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: driving L29 to the Eastearn Meet
Monday, May 18, 2009

We left this morning to view the tools and parts of Bill Thrush?s Uncle Harold in Houtsdale, PA. We drove into town just after noon. As we were driving around trying to find the recommended restaurant for lunch, we ran into Ray (Butch) Cloud and he directed us to the restaurant. Closed! Since the restaurant was closed we went to another restaurant and had lunch with Ray Sr. and Butch. Afterward we went to the showroom, and later to the farm to look over to items.

We continued east after leaving Houtsdale, PA ending our drive in Lewisburg, PA. Since we have been in Pennsylvania, the roads have gotten much curvier and more hilly. I think we drove 45 mph or less most of the day because of the grades and the tight curves. We spent most of the day going up and down the hills on narrow roads with no shoulders. It is obvious why this state is named Pennsylvania. The landscape is lush with trees.

We saw a lot more Amish farms today and met quite a few buggies. Mike was a little concerned going down some of the hills that he might come up on an Amish buggy, but we were able to a control our speed. When we came out of the wooded hillsides, the valleys were full of crop farming. Most of the fields looked like patchwork quilts of varying shades of green and tan. It?s planting season here and there are many fields that have either just been planted or are getting ready to plant. There are also quite a few dairy farms.

The towns have many interesting, beautiful old buildings. Many of the houses are just a few feet from the road. Most of the buildings are very well maintained, and you don?t see a lot of ?junk? stuff laying around. There are lots of interesting stone buildings and fences.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
20 May 2009 03:47 #13547 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: Driving L29 to Eastearn meet
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

We did it! Coast to coast! We left Lewisburg, PA this morning. I set the Garmin for Perth Amboy, avoid highways, and avoid toll roads. It was chilly this morning but by noon we had ditched the jackets and put the top down on the car. We had traveled south most of the morning and I was getting a little concerned that we were being lead to Allentown, so I checked ahead?sure enough! I reset the Garmin and tried to skirt the north side of town. Then I put her back on back on the highways and toll roads and we crossed into New Jersey. We continued on the interstate about half the way there. Then, we went back to avoiding highways, big mistake. It was traffic and stops all the way. We finally got to the water, took a couple pictures and caught the interstate out of town.

We ended the day at the Best Western in Bethlehem, PA., the host hotel for the Eastern meet. The plan for tomorrow is to go antiquing.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
22 May 2009 22:02 #13569 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: L29 trip to Eastearn Meet
Wednesday, May 20, 2009

We went to an antique store today on the southwest side of town. Mike bought a couple of L29 postcard. Lots of traffic, thank goodness for the Garmin or we would have been lost in rush hour traffic.

At night, Bruce Earlin and Mary picked us up and took us to an old section of town for an authentic dinner.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

This morning we went to the Wegman?s store across the street from the hotel. I got some much needed supplies. We had lunch there and returned to the hotel. Mike did the laundry and cleaned on his car, while I gave myself a manicure and pedicure. People are starting to arrive at the hotel for the Eastern Meet.

We had supper with Bruce and Mary, and Bob and Carol Esten at an Italian restaurant in Bath. Good food and company.

Friday, May 22, 2009

The Early Bird tour left this morning at 8:00 AM. First stop was the Dutch Heritage Center in Kutztown, PA. We took a very scenic tour there, complete with many beautiful barns with the Pennsylvania Dutch emblems painted on them. At the Heritage Center the tour guide explained a lot of the History of the area and the reason for the settlements in this area. After a tour of the school, house, summer kitchen and barn we continued to the Hueitch Eck Restaurant in Kutztown.

We passed a beautiful covered bridge in route. There were several photo opportunities, but we didn?t stop?We were hungry. Lunch was a buffet including several Pennsyvania
Dutch staples.

After lunch we lined up the cars at a repair garage across the street. Another photo shoot. Next, we paraded down the road to the Clover Hill Vineyards and Winery. It is a beautiful family owned business. We were given a tour of the vineyards, facilities, and afterward there was wine tasting. We learned about the 5 S?s of wine tasting?see, swirl, smell, swish, swallow? I don?t know if that?s right! Anyway it was very interesting.

We drove back to the hotel where there is an opening dinner planned for tonight. Looks like the rest of the people are here. It?s great to see so many of our friends that we haven?t seen since last fall.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds