L29 trip to California

More
21 Apr 2009 16:00 #13283 by Ohio AMX
Ohio AMX replied the topic:
Poor bunny, and right after Easter.

Scott Campbell
Medina, OH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2009 17:09 #13284 by DJT
DJT replied the topic:
Wow... so many days have gone by and I just stumbled upon this....

Hope you are feeling better after the surgery. Prayers sent for you and Mike for a safe journey.

The Evening Star had a nice write up....

AUBURN ? Eighty years ago, four brand new Cord L-29 automobiles left Auburn on a cross-country trip to California and back.

Thursday, Mike and Joan Huffman set out from Auburn to re-enact the journey.

A blue Cord L-29 cabriolet led the original caravan West, and the Huffmans are driving a nearly identical car.

The Huffmans, of Hudsonville, Mich., won?t follow the precise original route.

?They stopped in all the big cities, of course, to promote the cars,? Mike Huffman said. ?But we?re trying to stay away from the big cities. ? With an old car like this on the interstates in the big cities, that?s not a good thing.?

The modern journey won?t use modern highways, sticking to the slower back roads.

?We just see so much more of the county by doing that, rather than interstates,? Huffman said.

Members of the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club, the Huffmans invited other classic-car enthusiasts to join them on their trip. No one took up the offer, but several will welcome the Huffmans as guests on a leisurely, month-long adventure.

On the 1929 trip, drivers used Cords that barely had been broken in after rolling off the assembly line in Auburn, in a building that today houses the National Automotive and Truck Museum of the United States.

The Huffmans? Cord has been road-tested in 20,000 miles of touring since its restoration was finished in 2000. But the Huffmans never have attempted a cross-country trip.

?I brought a lot of tools and parts with me, just in case? the car develops problems, Huffman said.

Thursday?s journey started just outside NATMUS and the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum, and that?s where it will finish.

?We?re going to come back here, just to end it here, where they ended before,? Huffman said. ?I think we?ll have a great time.?

-David
member: Professional Photographer Association
TnT Shutterbug Photography
http://www.tntshutterbugphotography.com

• jhcarlady
  • jhcarlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
22 Apr 2009 05:34 #13292 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic:
Day 13, Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Very sunny day today, we drove with the top down, staying mainly on Interstate 40. We are staying mainly on the Interstate through here because the grades seem to be less steep on them. In a distance you could see the snow capped mountains. We crossed through the Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert today. Both are interesting and beautiful. Thankfully, we have visited them both a couple of years ago so we were able to drive by. The weather is very comfortable but I wouldn?t want to be traveling in an old car if the weather got much warmer.

I got hooked at one of the souvenir shops. I bought some of the jewelry. Nothing too pricey, but it is something that can squeeze into my bags. There is a picture to day of Mike riding the Jack Rabbit. (it's good luck)

It was interesting to see the trains today. They are much longer than at home. The first one we saw had 4 engines and 2 pushers. Later we saw one with a dozen engines up front. I have been warned that we will probably hear them rumble past tonight. In fact I hear one right now.

The grade into Flagstaff started about 45 miles outside of town. We didn?t even know we were climbing, until Mike, who constantly watches the temperature gauge, noticed the temperature which is usually around 170 was up around 180. He backed off the speed 5 to 10 MPH and then the temperature dropped back down. We are now at about 7000 feet above sea level.

Tomorrow we go south to Prescott, AZ and visit with Dick & Marylynn Teeter.
Gas expense
4/21/2009 6.2 2.45 $ 15.20 Petrified, AZ
6.571 2.109 $ 13.86 Milan, NM
4.774 2.069 $ 9.88 Gallup, NM
Food expenses
gas station $ 3.65 Petrified, AZ
Wendy's $ 8.17 Gallup, NM
Taco Los Altos $ 15.45 Flagstaff, AZ
other
Comfort Inn Albuquerque,NM 67.67
jewelry - souvenirs $ 66.60 Milan, NM

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • jhcarlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
23 Apr 2009 10:02 #13300 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: driving ACD Cars
Day 14, Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sorry, short post today. We drove 89A to Prescott, to see Dick and Marylynn Teeter. To say the drive was beautiful doesn?t come close to describing it. WOW! Breath taking views. The views came with a couple of steep hills and hairpin turns, but well worth the trip. We stopped in Jerome to rest the car, but all went well.We arrived in Prescott around 2PM. Checked into our hotel and called the Teeters.They picked us up and we spent the remainder of the day with them. Tired now/Thanks for a great time!

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
23 Apr 2009 12:52 #13301 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Josh, since it's the Year of the L-29 and this does involve an L-29, I move to put Mike and the jackrabbit on the cover of the next Newsletter. :P

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
23 Apr 2009 13:58 #13305 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Aw, Chris, I had planned to use this never-before-seen photo of E.L. Cord personally grinding the valves on his L-29. I'll have to ponder this.

Mike and Joan, looks like you stopped at the Jackrabbit Trading Post. At its peak its yellow-and-black signs with the bunny could be seen as far east as New Jersey! Quite a surprise when you actually see it, wasn't it?

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds