3.924 2.239 $ 8.79 Alanreed, TX
$ 53.26
food expense
lunch sandwiches $ 5.61 Binger, OK
coke $ 1.40 Sayre, Ok
supper Dyer's Barbeque $ 30.62 Amarillo, TX

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jhcarlady
  • jhcarlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
21 Apr 2009 02:19 #13275 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic:
Day 12, Monday, April 20, 2009

We left this morning from Amarillo, TX. It was a bright sunny day, great day for driving with the top down. We continued on business I40 through town, and made a U turn after we spotted the Cadillac Ranch. We backtracked to them on Route 66 and took a few pictures. There were 3 guys on Harley's there and we talked to them and found they were from Italy; they had rented bikes in Chicago and were doing the Route 66 trip to California, then turning in their rented bikes and flying back home. We ran into them again later when we were all getting gas in our vehicles.

It was a pretty drive today even though we did not take a lot of pictures. Mike even passed a car that was going slower than us. Route 66 was fairly consistent through the remainder of TX, however once we got to New Mexico, it is a different story. We would be traveling along, and all of the sudden found we were at a dead end or the road suddenly turned to gravel, and there were no signs warning of a dead end. Finally, we just decided to stay on I40. The traffic was light. The road was smooth. It felt like you could see forever, miles and miles, and miles. We passed the official midway point of Route 66, and made a lunch stop in Tucumcari, NM. There was a guy at our lunch stop that asked Mike if that was a kit car?the hood was up at the time. Some people just haven?t a clue!! After lunch, we thought we would again try Route 66 but about 3 miles down the road, dead end. We retraced our route and decided that was the end, we were staying on the highway, at least until it looks more consistent.

We stopped for an ice cream break in a store that had virtually everything?even a full sized stuffed buffalo for sale. The clerk there was on parole, and told Mike his life story.
We got outside again, and the maintenance man related his life story as well. So our ten minute break turned into 45. Oh well, no rush!

We ended the day in Albuquerque, NM hitting it right at the 5 PM rush hour. We had supper at a nice little restaurant within walking distance of our Comfort Inn. While cleaning his car tonight, Mike discovered that they have a lot slower bugs out west; he had to clean a bunch of them off the front of his car?Once again proving that L29s are faster than the slow western bugs.

The Cadillac Ranch is located west of Amarillo on old Route 66, south of I-40 between exits 60 and 62.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
21 Apr 2009 03:24 #13277 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Is that Conoco station the former U-Drop Inn in Shamrock?

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• jhcarlady
  • jhcarlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
21 Apr 2009 05:24 #13280 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic:
4/20/2009
5.552 2.029 $11.21 Albuquerque,NM
3.95 2.199 $8.69 Moriarty,NM
4.759 2.099 $9.99 santa rosa, NM
8.531 2.019 $17.22
4.335 2.099 $9.10 vega TX

McDonalds $2.80 Amarillo
DQ $6.15 Santa Rosa
Village Inn $20.54 Albuquerque
McDonalds $4.55 lunch

Days Inn/ Amarillo, TX $63.25

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

More
21 Apr 2009 10:36 #13281 by K Clark
K Clark replied the topic: Rte 66
Mike & Joan
I've been over all them dead end roads on rte 66, when I drove around the country in my Tr3 Triumph back in 1994.I traveled just under 16000 miles on that trip. Your right there are no signs that say dead end. But even though it is a very nice trip. especially if you can take your time and enjoy the scenery It is amazing how many thousands of square acres, of very open land there is out west.
Showing pictures of your L-29 at local land marks makes it so, I can pictures all of this as if I were there with you guys with my L-29. And would love to be doing just what you and Joan are doing.
I do find the highway very boring, going through the small towns is the key. The people love to see your Car and talk about everything as already know.
It is still amazing to me that how many people think these L-29's are kit cars. I know I have been asked that at least a dozen times when I've been out driving mine.
K Clark

More
21 Apr 2009 13:18 #13282 by Al Light
Al Light replied the topic: Cross Country Trip
Joan & Mike: The trip sounds great. I check the web page every day to get the latest report. I like the daily statistics but keep looking for an item on miles traveled. Back in 1995 we drove the 810 phaeton coast to coast with the CCCA club. Average gas cost was $129.8 per gallon and consumption was 15.28 miles per gallon. Total miles on that trip was 5,061 which included miles from PA to RI for starting point of CCCA tour. How does your gas consumption compare? Keep that Lycoming Engine running. CORDially, Al Light
PS. We were chicken and shipped the car back home.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds