• jhcarlady
  • jhcarlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
17 Apr 2009 04:15 #13242 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: L29 trip to California
Day 8, Thursday, April 16, 2009

We left our hotel this morning at 9 AM and arrived at the hotel around 11:30 AM. We took the turnpike in to Oklahoma City, paid $2.25 in tolls. We stopped at McDonalds for breakfast, which was late enough that neither of us were hungry for lunch. Mike checked us in early, and I put a load in the washing machine, checked my emails and took a nap and while he changed the oil in the car.

We left for the host hotel, Colcord around 2:30 PM and hung around there until about 6 PM when we left for the racetrack and supper. We left the racetrack at around 10:30 PM and went back to our hotel.

Gas tally
5.752g 1.839 $10.58

Food tally
McDonalds $ 3.06
M & Ms $ 3.34
Supper $40.00
$ 46.40

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
18 Apr 2009 03:58 #13245 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: driving ACD cars
Day 9, April 17, 2009 ? Friday
We had breakfast at our hotel then drove to the host hotel ? Colcord.
First stop on our tour today was a great car collection. Pictures will be posted later. After the car collection we drove down Route 66, had a late lunch, then went to visit the Oklahoma bombing site memorial. If you haven't visited this site it is a real tribute to those who lost their lives there and it is worth seeing.

Tonight, we had supper at Toby Keith?s, I love this Bar & Grill. I ate too much again. Both meals today were included in the meet registration. The Waken's have done a great job putting this meet together. There are about 60 people, and at least 8 ACD cars. It's great to see everyone!

Gas tally

10.852 g $1.839 $19.96

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
18 Apr 2009 14:14 #13246 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Boy, Mike and Joan, I go away for a week with no email and look at all the adventures you guys go thru. Belated wishes, Joan, for a full recovery with no further discomfort. And there needs to be some kind of club award for fortitude and dedication!

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
18 Apr 2009 23:37 #13251 by Mike Dube
Mike Dube replied the topic:

Josh Malks wrote: Boy, Mike and Joan, I go away for a week with no email and look at all the adventures you guys go thru. Belated wishes, Joan, for a full recovery with no further discomfort. And there needs to be some kind of club award for fortitude and dedication!

I second that! And no more guff from anybody about the driveability of an L-29 either!

Mike
8-100A

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
19 Apr 2009 05:51 #13252 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: trip to CA
Day 10, April 19, 2009 ? Saturday

We had breakfast at our hotel then drove to the host hotel ? Colcord.
First stop on our tour today was another great car collection ? lots of beautiful Brass
cars. Pictures will be posted.

Stan Gilliland of Wellington, KS drove behind Mike on the way there and told him his rear passenger wheel was wobbling as he drove down the road. Mike looked it over
and decided to switch it with one of the spares. Upon removal, he found that another of his spokes were broken. He has had problems with that wheel a couple of times before.

After the car collection, we had lunch at the cowboy museum and had a tour. When Mike came up to pick me up by the entrance, one of the cowboys came up and talked to Mike about his car, inquiring if that was the kind of car that Tom Mix was killed in. ?Aren?t they supposed to have exhaust pipes coming out of the engine?? He said, ?no, that the later models? and pointed out the other Cords. Mike found out later he was one of the stars of Gunsmoke.

Around 2:30 PM, we left as a group and drove to a couple of the Route 66 places of interest?Pops and the Round Barn of Arcadia, Oklahoma. Both are worth seeing. We were driving through some of the scenic winding roads when Gary Howe had a tire go flat. The army of ACD rescuers all stopped to help. There is some evidence that a smashed rabbit gave him the bad luck! For a moment there was a scare when Gary didn?t think he had keys to his spare tire locks, but he found them and was back on the road in no time. The incident will make this memorable for all!

We had a closing dinner tonight at the Cattlemen?s Steakhouse. There were 70 people at the meet and 18 cars. The Waken?s hosted a great meet and had parting gifts (Route 66 mug) for everyone. We look forward to seeing you all at Auburn in the fall, if not
before.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
20 Apr 2009 02:28 #13257 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic:
Day 11- Sunday, April 19, 2009

We got a later start this morning. 10 AM. I repacked my stuff while Mike cleaned his car. It was a cool and cloudy morning. It looked like rain so we drove with the top up.

We drove west on Reno through Oklahoma City, then connected with OK152 and continued west toward Texas. About 20 miles from the state line we got on Route 66 and tried to stay on that where we could. We have some nice pictures of the scenery along the route.

Lunch today was at a gas station/deli. We were in a remote area at the time but it was a pleasant surprise. Mike and I both had a sandwich. There was a section of very pretty, hilly countryside along OK152. Route 66 through Texas is somewhat difficult to discern. It goes a ways on one side of highway 40 then suddenly there is an exit or a crossover and it is easy to find yourself on highway 40 by mistake.

We ended the day in Amarillo, TX and had supper at Dyer?s Barbecue, prize winning ribs.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds