driving old cars

• mason maynard
  • mason maynard's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
13 Apr 2006 03:39 #4698 by mason maynard
mason maynard created the topic: driving old cars
today i worked on my auburns all day. tomorrow i will take perhaps both of them for a ride, and what can i write, its a great thing. thanks bill for geting my site problem fixed. by the way, seldom do any of my cars sit for long. if its nice, their on the road. :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Apr 2006 00:34 #4702 by
replied the topic:
Hi Mason,

When I talk to you last year at Hershey you were thinking about "swaping Auburns" What did you decide?

I'm assuming by now you had your ride. How did it go? Are you ready for the season?

I've got to get my backside in gear and get some work done on my car. The Spring meet is in 6 weeks and the Cord is still up on jacks. But then again if the car wasn't torn apart the week before we leave my wife wouldn't have anything to worry about on the drive.

Keep those wheels rolling...

Jim

• bill powell
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Sep 2007 02:46 #8065 by bill powell
bill powell replied the topic:
I've driven many ACD cars, perhaps as many as a hundred different ones, and I will go with the mid-thirties Auburn every time if I had to pick one for a daily driver.

When you find a Duesenberg that has been done right, especially brakes and steering, they're nice. Run like scat, and stop like a new car, but they are big and at slow speeds sometimes cumbersome.

Get a late Cord shifting right and they are pleasant to drive.

Most L-29's are miserable to drive.

The closest thing I've found to driving a modern car is the late Auburn. I like the cabriolet better than the speedster to drive every day, but for a week-end of showing off, well, the speedster.

There was a restorer/collector in San Antonio that had one of the wood fixed head hardtops. He had air shocks on all four corners, modern fabric interior, air conditioning. a good stereo, and I had trouble following him across town in a 454 Chevy pick-up. Damn, that was a neat car.

• bill powell
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Oct 2007 01:29 #8514 by bill powell
bill powell replied the topic:
I was driving the Rollston long wheel base Formal Sedan today, the one we just got up in Hershey, and what a treat.

It steers like a new car, has good power, and with fresh gas comes off the line pretty strong.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds