Mrs Putnams car

• balinwire
  • balinwire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
28 Dec 2005 01:09 #4165 by balinwire
balinwire created the topic: Mrs Putnams car
Famous flier Amelia Earhart must have been very comfortable at the wheel of her Cord as the dash was very similar to that of an airplane of the era.
The center picture is not as clear as I would have liked but you can see the levers to her left as in the lower photo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
More
28 Dec 2005 02:17 #4166 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Buehrig often said that the Cord's "dash quadrant" was intended to evoke the throttles on a DC-3. Gordon's chronology was off a little, because the DC-3 did not begin passenger service until late in 1936. More likely he had seen photos of the DC-1 (September '33) or the DC-2 (May '34) or some Boeing aircraft.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• balinwire
  • balinwire's Avatar Topic Author
More
29 Dec 2005 16:03 #4169 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic:
Was Ameila lost at sea in a Lockeed Vega?

Could this be that airplanes cockpit?

Being the avaitor she was, when she first looked at the Cords dash she would have said "Thats the car for me."

Was hers an 810 or 812?

Did she have any influence on the design?

The airplanes control panel looks like a truck dash, and the cars dash looks like an airplane control panel.

In the photos, she really looks like she enjoyed driving her Cord.

Like the car, she was a real modern lady and a legend today.

More
29 Dec 2005 21:55 #4170 by sunroofcord
sunroofcord replied the topic: AMELIA EARHARTS CORD
I noticed the Cord interior photo is Right Hand Drive. Was Amelias Cord Right Hand Drive????

• Josh Malks
More
29 Dec 2005 22:51 #4171 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Amelia's Cord was, of course, LHD. The photo is flipped. (RHD Cords still had the radio, or "wireless", on the right.) Anyway, the photo is of an armchair Beverly.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• mkilleen
More
30 Dec 2005 01:13 #4172 by mkilleen
mkilleen replied the topic:
Re: Balinwire's questions about Amelia, I can answer some since I am a long time admirer of hers and sometime impersonator for school groups.
The plane on her world wide and last flight was a Lockheed Model 10E Special, a modification of the Burbank-based manufacturer's popular "Electra" 10 passenger airliner that debuted in 1934. I don't know if this picture is of that cockpit. She previously flew a Lockheed Vega in 1932 (now in the Smithsonian) on her solo flight across the Atlantic and landed in a pasture near Londonderry, Northern Ireland. I visited the pasture in 2003 and walked through the bushes (they keep the opening she walked through) to the nearby house she went to for help. It is now a small museum.
Re: the equipment, according to book Amelia's Shoes (2001), "some was state-of-the-art, such as its Sperry "Gyro-Pilot" automatic pilot but for the most part its equipment was unremarkable"(p.24).
Amelia's Cord was a 1936 renumbered 810 Phaeton in a light color, possibly Cigarette Cream. She simply was a celebrity who liked the car and in reading her biographies, she liked all mechanical things. She was a consultant at Purdue University Engineering Dept in Indiana at the time she obtained her Cord and I never heard of her having any influence on its design which would have been much earlier. Her previous car was a Kissel which she loved and called her "yellow canary". The Cord was certainly a design upgrade from that car! I agree that she was an incredible woman and inspiration to many.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds