• Chad Thomas
  • Chad Thomas's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
04 Apr 2013 11:25 #24928 by Chad Thomas
Chad Thomas replied the topic:
Ken,
my engine is the big bore engine which I have been told I cannot bore it oversize as there is not enough wall thickness to handle it and that it has to be sleeved. I have about 0.008 taper in the cylinders and one of them is scared pretty bad from a broken piston ring. So, that being said is it true that the big bores cannot be bored oversized?

Chad Thomas
39 Rainbow drive
Fenton Mo 63026

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
05 Apr 2013 04:32 #24931 by mikespeed35
mikespeed35 replied the topic:
Hi Chad, I can tell you what the Master Parts Book that was effective Jan. 1932 says. Oversize pistons, can be ordered in the following sizes. .010 oversize, .015 oversize, .020 oversize, .025 oversize, .030 oversize, and Semi-Finished. Piston rings are available in standard, .005, .010, .020, and .030 oversize. This parts book is for Auburn and L-29 Cord. It makes no differentiation betwen Auburn and Cord piston size so I am "ASSUMING" all engines can be bored that amount. Please note the word ASSUMING. The block and cylinder heads all have different part numbers after motor no. 4444. I know for a fact that the bore spacing is different between a small bore and big bore engine.
As for your question about cyl. taper I will quote from the 1931 Chilton's Automotive Multi-Guide. Cylinder taper, Desirable .001-.002, serviseable .003, repair or replace .005. Cylinder roundness, desirable .0005-.001, serviceable .002-.003, repair or replace .004.
This is just one opinion for you to take into consideration.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Chad Thomas
  • Chad Thomas's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
05 Apr 2013 11:40 #24933 by Chad Thomas
Chad Thomas replied the topic:
Mike,
thanks for the reply. I know I have to either bore and buy pistons or bore and sleeve, just have not decided which route to go. I do need a favor from you though next time you get home! what is the part number for the modern seals for the rear hubs?

Chad Thomas
39 Rainbow drive
Fenton Mo 63026

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
05 Apr 2013 15:09 #24935 by mikespeed35
mikespeed35 replied the topic:
Chad, The rear wheel bearing seal no. is CR22610. Make sure your shaft size is 2 1/4" and the bore size is 3.565 for this seal to work. I know of two different big bore engines that have been overbored. If you ask my opinion I would bore with new pistons. Bore just enough to clean up the cyl. as you will have to have pistons made any way. Just one guys thoughts.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds