Skip to main content

Pistons

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Apr 2013 15:09 #24935 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Pistons
Chad, The rear wheel bearing seal no. is CR22610. Make sure your shaft size is 2 1/4" and the bore size is 3.565 for this seal to work. I know of two different big bore engines that have been overbored. If you ask my opinion I would bore with new pistons. Bore just enough to clean up the cyl. as you will have to have pistons made any way. Just one guys thoughts.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chad Thomas
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Apr 2013 11:40 #24933 by Chad Thomas
Replied by Chad Thomas on topic Pistons
Mike,
thanks for the reply. I know I have to either bore and buy pistons or bore and sleeve, just have not decided which route to go. I do need a favor from you though next time you get home! what is the part number for the modern seals for the rear hubs?

Chad Thomas
39 Rainbow drive
Fenton Mo 63026

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Apr 2013 04:32 #24931 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Pistons
Hi Chad, I can tell you what the Master Parts Book that was effective Jan. 1932 says. Oversize pistons, can be ordered in the following sizes. .010 oversize, .015 oversize, .020 oversize, .025 oversize, .030 oversize, and Semi-Finished. Piston rings are available in standard, .005, .010, .020, and .030 oversize. This parts book is for Auburn and L-29 Cord. It makes no differentiation betwen Auburn and Cord piston size so I am "ASSUMING" all engines can be bored that amount. Please note the word ASSUMING. The block and cylinder heads all have different part numbers after motor no. 4444. I know for a fact that the bore spacing is different between a small bore and big bore engine.
As for your question about cyl. taper I will quote from the 1931 Chilton's Automotive Multi-Guide. Cylinder taper, Desirable .001-.002, serviseable .003, repair or replace .005. Cylinder roundness, desirable .0005-.001, serviceable .002-.003, repair or replace .004.
This is just one opinion for you to take into consideration.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Chad Thomas
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Apr 2013 11:25 #24928 by Chad Thomas
Ken,
my engine is the big bore engine which I have been told I cannot bore it oversize as there is not enough wall thickness to handle it and that it has to be sleeved. I have about 0.008 taper in the cylinders and one of them is scared pretty bad from a broken piston ring. So, that being said is it true that the big bores cannot be bored oversized?

Chad Thomas
39 Rainbow drive
Fenton Mo 63026

• Visitor
04 Apr 2013 09:26 #24927 by
Replied by on topic pistons
Chad
If it all measures out then there is nothing wrong with it, but the cylinder is a different story, if it is worn to much for this piston you will need to bore and sleeve the cylinder back to the correct size for this piston.
My 2 cents
K Clark

• Chad Thomas
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Apr 2013 21:37 #24924 by Chad Thomas
Troy,
Shelf wear usually found on the top of the piston. but thanks for the input.

So,
re-usable or buy replacements?

The skirts show slight wear, nothing unusual, just the issue above the top ring.

Chad Thomas
39 Rainbow drive
Fenton Mo 63026

• Visitor
03 Apr 2013 20:26 #24923 by
Replied by on topic piton carbon
On most all engines, the area above the top piston ring gets carboned up , especially as the engine wears and burns more oil. I call it normal.
My 2 cents
K Clark

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
03 Apr 2013 16:34 #24921 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Pistons
Most likely piston to tight against the cyl wall thus overheating and gauling itself on the cyl wall. Randy

• auburn653
  • Registered
More
03 Apr 2013 10:54 #24919 by auburn653
Replied by auburn653 on topic Pistons
shelf wear? Or, did you use torch to remove?

:D

• Chad Thomas
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Apr 2013 22:38 #24914 by Chad Thomas
Pistons was created by Chad Thomas
Slowly working on my L29 engine and notice that the pistons all have what appears to be either scuffing or possibly burning around the upper edge of the piston, above the top ring. Has anyone else noticed this on their rebuilds and if so what do you think was the cause?

Chad Thomas
39 Rainbow drive
Fenton Mo 63026