Skip to main content

Spark plugs

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
08 Nov 2011 15:09 #21388 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic C7
I have a number of C7's with the brass hat both used and NOS. If I remember correctly there are some C7 'radio' plugs out there as well.

I saw Don McKinsy at Hershey this year. He and I were rooting through a box of old plugs together.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
07 Nov 2011 03:36 #21371 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Spark plugs
You are right Michael, it does say that in the Parts book. I also got a E-mail with a copy of a 1930 Chanpion catolog showing Champion # 10 as the recomended plug. Can any one else shed some light on this?
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Michael Lebovic
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Nov 2011 15:10 #21358 by Michael Lebovic
Replied by Michael Lebovic on topic spark plugs
Thanks Mike for the info. I will do as you suggest, install the Champion #7 for judging and use the D16 for the rest of the time. In the Cord "Parts List" manual that I purchased at the museum, on page 69, the first item at the top of the page describes that the correct spark plug is the Champion #10, and the Cord part #9S-14.

Michael Lebovic

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Nov 2011 04:31 #21356 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Spark plugs
Hi Michael, If a Cord L 29 does not have Champion C 7 brass hat plugs there will be a deduct. Champion #7 is not a C7. All my period tune up charts for L-29 show Champion C 7 plugs. I have never seen C 10 recommended and would be interested to know where you read that. The only plug I know of is a Champion C 10 S which is an aircraft plug. Can find nothing about a C 10. I have a 1960 Champion chart that shows the Champion D 16 as a replacement for the C7. The best substitutions for the C 7 are AC 86, Blue Crown 86, Autolite B 5, and Autolite BT 6. I personally use Autolite BT 6. All of these plugs are blued and are not over the counter plugs today. They would need to be purchased at a swap meet vendor, etc. Most people who show their cars and drive them also have a set of Champion C7?s they use for the show and another plug they drive with. That is because true C 7 brass hat plugs are very expensive. Most of the above information I have gleened from Donald McKinsey who I regard as a spark plug expert. He sells spark plugs and the last time I heard from him was in 2005. I have not seen him at Hershey for several years. I'm not sure he is still with us. If so the only way to contact him is by mail.
Donald McKinsey
P.O. Box 94,
Wilkinson, IN 46186
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Michael Lebovic
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2011 16:39 #21349 by Michael Lebovic
Spark plugs was created by Michael Lebovic
I want to change the spark plugs in my cabriolet. Presently there are Champion #7 in the car. I see that the parts books says Champion #10 should be installed. Dose the Champion #10 come already in gun metal black in colour?? and is it available?? I know that Champion #D16 will fit, it dose not have the brass top as the Champion #7, and has a different shape to the white body of the plug. The #7 and #D16 are both the same length, (approx. 2 7/8 inches overall). I was told that Autolite plugs will also fit, but i was not told the plug number. I have purchased some Autolite plugs, #388, it is the same length as the Champions, and it comes already gun metal black. I installed one in the car and it fits perfectly, however it dose not come with the brass top as the Champion #7. As I have never seen a Champion #10 I can only assume it brass top as the #7. If I use the Autolite #338 without the brass top, will I loose any points when the car is judged? and is the Autolite #388 "hot" enough for the car?? If I install the Champion #D16, I will have to blacken the plugs which I have done before, but I ask is the D16 "hot" enough for the car, the D16 also dose not come with the brass top. Any other suggestions??

Michael Lebovic