WHERE IS THE JEAN HARLOW L-29?

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
17 Oct 2008 02:16 #11593 by mikespeed35
mikespeed35 replied the topic:
Nile Reed made a couple L-29 Speedsters also. One sold at Kruse Auburn sometime in the mid to late 90's for $85,000.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2008 00:56 #12264 by AceCollins
AceCollins replied the topic:
I have gone through everything concerning Harlow's car ownership, and she loved to drives. But as Josh note, a 1934 Packard V-12 and a Caddy V-12 where probably her finest automobiles. In my collection of photos of Harlow with cars there are Studebakers, Packards, Caddys and a Dodge (she did print ads for them), but the only ACD car is a Auburn Speedster she posed in at the National Air Races. I would love to know what happened to that Auburn as well.

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
06 Jun 2009 06:13 #13689 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
The plot thickens.

I was digging (literally) through my stock of old ACD newsletters tonight, and found an article on the speedster written when the ACD Museum got its replica. (I lovingly refer to that car as the Condiment Cord...mustard yellow and ketchup red.)

The article, in newsletter No. 10, 1995, is written by Jim Brockman, and includes a lot of interesting information, including on who supposedly took the car to Europe. This article hypothesizes, among things, that Jean Harlow and Paul Bern took the car to France; that Harlow displayed the car at a concours d'elegance near Paris in June 1931, where she was listed as "Mrs. Bern." It also suggests that Harlow was used by the Auburn Automobile Company for publicity. Photos of the car with a blonde-haired woman at the wheel were supposedly supplied to an earlier newsletter by Ray Wolff. His photo collection is at the ACD Automobile Museum now, am I right?

The article is rife with errors and unfounded "facts," which in Mr. Brockman's defense have largely been proven as such AFTER he wrote the article. Still, it makes for interesting reading and theories.

I would put the entire article here, but it's much too much typing for this late at night. Those of you with No. 10, 1995, look it up and give it a read.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

More
06 Jun 2009 14:36 #13693 by AceCollins
And, as Harlow never left the country and was always working during that time, the real problem with the France theory.

More
06 Jun 2009 19:35 #13696 by russv
russv replied the topic:
Ace
Do you have any pictures of Harlow with a 1937 Chrysler Imperial by chance?
Russ

More
06 Jun 2009 19:37 #13698 by AceCollins
No, I have her with a Packard V12 that she owned, a Studebaker, a 37 Dodge, a couple of Caddys and the Auburn Boattail at the Airshow, but not Imperial.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds