Skip to main content

L-29 battery polarity

• gonewiththewind
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2007 14:05 #7574 by gonewiththewind
Replied by gonewiththewind on topic L-29 battery polarity
I remember reading the article about coil polarity. I just went online and ordered the item from nurex to check it. It should come in handy, I have had other cars with aftermarket coils that were installed incorrectly. One of them in particular was hard to start, when I corrected the coil wiring it cleared the problem.
CORDially, Bill

Bill Bickers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2007 13:47 #7573 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic L-29 battery polarity
The coil will work no matter which way it is connected. The important thing is its polarity relative to the sparkplug. It loses up to 15% of its voltage at the plug, if connected the wrong way. Use a Sparklite to check this. See ACD Newsletter 2005-8 or go to www.nurex.com .

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• gonewiththewind
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2007 13:06 #7572 by gonewiththewind
Replied by gonewiththewind on topic L-29 battery polarity
Thanks everyone for your input! I guess reversing it will be this weekend's project, shouldn't take too long. But the coil is a different matter since it is part of the ignition switch, hopefully it won't turn out to be too much of a problem. I hope that they just left it connected the right way. I guess I'll know when I get under the dash!
CORDially, Bill

Bill Bickers

More
23 Jul 2007 14:42 #7568 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic L-29 battery polarity
Hello Bill:

I just went through this exact situation with a friend's 1929 DeSoto that was hooked up backwards when he bought it (they are positive ground also). The starter rotated in the correct direction, but had a tendancy to disengage too quickly when the engine started to fire. The previous owner could get never it running. We hooked up the battery correctly and had it running in no time.

Don't forget to reverse the coil wires when you change it back to positive ground. + terminal to the distributor, - terminal from the battery.

Best regards,
Steve Stevens

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Jul 2007 02:51 #7562 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Polarity
L-29's are positive ground.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2007 14:34 #7558 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic L-29 battery polarity
Starters on most cars are insensitive to polarity. Don't know why the L-29 would be different.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• gonewiththewind
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2007 13:57 #7556 by gonewiththewind
L-29 battery polarity was created by gonewiththewind
I just recently bought an L-29. Had one many years ago and have worked on several for other people. But I ran into something last night that concerned me. The shop manual calls for the battery to be connected as positive ground. My L-29 has the battery connected negative ground, yet the car cranks, runs, charges, etc. The only gitch that I noticed is that the oil level gauge immediately runs all the way to the top the minute the key is turned on, and the gas gauge does not work at all. The gauge problem may just be a wiring problem. I can reverse the battery leads, polarize the generator to run as positive ground, reverse the ammeter wires to show correct deflection, but what about the starter? Will it then try to run backwards? The Duesenberg is a negative ground car, don't know about Auburn, it's been too many years. Does someone out there know if the L-29 is positive or negative ground, and what trouble I am going to run into trying to correct it?

Bill Bickers