The Actonite Cord, 810 Serial No 1586A

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
08 Dec 2016 21:50 #31996 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic The Actonite Cord, 810 Serial No 1586A
Jack you are correct with the details however the name was derived from the history of Acton. In the old days people who had lived in Acton for a very long time were called Actonians while new comers were called Actonites. As 810 1586A was there for about 12 months I figured Actonite was appropriate. Incidentally Amos Mason's wife was called CORDelai, however there are a number of Cordelia Cords out there already.
Gary I also sent you some more specific information. For a while out here in Australia I referred to the car as the "Galloping Greyhound" because of its colour and outstanding performance. I just love it.

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
06 Dec 2016 15:16 #31987 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic The Actonite Cord, 810 Serial No 1586A
Gary Parsons , I don't presume to answer your question for Aussie member Terry Cockerell , but he may not have seen your inquiry. The car S#1586A was originally sold to a Canadian gentleman named Mason , who resided at Acton , Ontario , Canada , through the O'Donnell Mackie agency whose written records survived to confirm these facts. Remarkable.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2016 19:17 #31969 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic The Actonite Cord, 810 Serial No 1586A
How did this car get the name.. Actonite Cord???

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
29 Jun 2016 01:38 #31315 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Re: The Actonite Cord, 810 Serial No 1586A
Hello Mr. Cockerell Down Under,
This marvelous story of the history of your #1586A gets more and more detailed and wonderful in the process. You are a true enthusiast of the Cord Models 810/812 and a fine custodian of your remarkable example of the marque. We hope you will be able to take that long trip and join us again at Auburn, IN in the not too distant future. Sincerely Jonathan (Jack) Richards

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
18 May 2016 10:30 #31086 by Terry Cockerell
The Actonite Cord, 810 Serial No 1586A was created by Terry Cockerell
The picture I am referring to is in Sheet No 6 picture No JBA 307 which shows the rear and LHS of a two tone Westchester fitted with the rare accessory wing windows. I was quite delighted to see it for the first time in 2007 as it is actually my Cord that I had imported into Australia in 2007. I spotted it because of information supplied by George Van Nostrand in Canada who had been a previous owner of the car. It was still grey with dark blue fenders when he bought it in 1957. Eventually I was able to trace the complete history of ownership of this car based on work done by Jim Brockman however the file has continued to grow and grow. I have been told by numerous senior ACD Club members that I now have the most complete and comprehensive history of ownership of any 81 812 Cord in the world. The story was printed in the Newsletter before Auburn 2015 but it has continued to grow in unexpected ways since then.
It was originally sold to Mr Amos Mason of Bower Ave Acton, Ontario on April 9th 1936 by O'Donnell Mackie in Toronto. It was only in Acton form about 12 months hence the name "Actonite Cord". New comers being called Actonites while old hands were Actonians. I even stumbled upon film of it in a YouTube video. The title being Classic Car Club of America Caravan 1957 while the site is youtu.br/1F5Fy72fmG8
Before Auburn that year the then owner William Horning had driven it from Waterdown, Ontario to Milwaukie and back then a couple of weeks later down to Auburn where a treasured picture was taken in 9th Street by Sid Ayres on the same day as JB 307 but this time with Gordon Buehrig. Late last year I found a copy of a letter in the Newsletter written by Gordon Buehrig thanking him for the same picture.
Recently another picture of the Actonite Cord was published in The Hamilton Spectator May 3rd that was taken around 1939. It shows a young lady in a winter coat standing next to the Cord. He name is Trudie Weaver and she turned 100 on December 31st 2015 and she has treasured her picture for 76 years. I have contacted Trudie through the newspaper and hope to find out a little more on the event. He next door neighbour Mr Lee Merrill was the second owner of the Cord. Jim Beale and Ric Simpson a good pair of KOOKS notified me of the newspaper article. It is astonishing where a picture can lead you. Thanks to Jim Brockman.
Cheers from the Current Custodian of the Actonite Cord,
Terry Cockerell.
Australia

T cockerell
Attachments: