Radiator electric fan

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
03 Nov 2004 19:19 #2444 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Auburn/Cord Parts replied the topic: Cord Cooling
The spacer for the fan & shroud really help. Also, acouple of sheet metal baffels to help direct the air up towards the radiator's upper half really help. It's important to make sure that air just doesn't flow over the top of the radiator upper tank. Cord engineers changed the Cord louvers to try and get the air moving up in the air stream to the radiator.

Also a Cord engine that is running lean--vacuum leak at the transmission solenoid, wipers, or dirty main jets in the carb will run hot with a fire truck pumping water thru it. Lastly, no matter the radiator's condition new or used, a flow test tells the truth. We've never used an electric fan----
never will.

CORDially

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Al Hatch
  • ACD Club Past President
More
04 Nov 2004 00:54 #2445 by Al Hatch
Al Hatch replied the topic:
To all,

Here's my two-cents added to the pile! This summer a seen a member who installed (for lack of a better term) side shields on the fence that ran from the radiator to approximately 12" from the firewall. The intent was to prevent oil from being sprayed onto the front fenders in as much as this was an unrestored Cord. One of the side benefits was that his car ran cooler due to that the air flow was directed towards the back of the engine exiting near the firewall. Another club member picked up onto this and installed a similar panel that slipped over the top edge of the fence and he expierenced the same cooling effect. Both said their cars ran about 10 degrees cooler. This is not to say you should not do all of the other things which is appropriate. This is just another idea that might help our Cords run even cooler.

Al Hatch

• Josh Malks
More
04 Nov 2004 02:49 #2447 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Some comments on the comments:

- Spacer: this is a useful device, since Auburn pointed out in their engineering notes that a dealer could help an overheating problem by moving the radiator closer to the fan. (The spacer does the same thing --- moves the fan closer to the radiator. The factory cautioned about more noise. Big deal.)

- Shroud: An engineer who is experienced with classic cars pointed out to me that the shroud designed for the Cord has minimal, if any, value. To
work properly the fan blades should be centered horizontally on the edge of the big hole in the shroud. The Cord fan is well inside the shroud, even with the spacer left out.

- Baffles: Stan's suggestion of baffles is a good one. I'll be experimenting with some of these next summer. (From November to April my Cord runs real cool!) I'll be trying the following:

1. A short "shield" on each side of the grille, for about 5" in front of the radiator. Purpose being to keep air that comes in the front of the grille from taking a path of lesser resistance back out the sides, rather than going thru the core. (The factory-added rubber seal over the top of the rad tank to keep air from going over, and to keep air sucked thru by the fan from going back the other way is vital.)

2. A flat baffle on top of the tranny (under the main shift cylinder) to force all air to go thru the core, and not to sneak out under the radiator near the inner u-joints. (Concern here is whether this will raise tranny lube temp.)

Which brings me to Al's comments. Those side shields seem to be one of those serendipitous ideas that could be really valuable. It's counter-intuitive --- seems like we would want to let the air [i:1068vp1l]out[/i:1068vp1l] --- but maybe we've been wrong.

Let's keep trying new things, and report to others thru the website or the Newsletter.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
18 Nov 2004 15:08 #2494 by Ric Simpson
Ric Simpson replied the topic: Cooling
Hi! I have had no overheating problems since the rebuild of my s/c engine. I attribute that to all the cleaning that was done during rebuilding. I am also using the Al Goodman pulley modification. It sure makes changing a fan belt easy. I demonstrated this at Auburn one year and I was timed at less than 15 minutes! Am I the only one with the Goodman set-up? Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

More
27 Nov 2004 13:13 #2519 by dougklink
dougklink replied the topic: Goodman setup
What is the Goodman setup for the fan pulley?

Thanks,

Doug Klink
Estes Park, CO

Doug Klink
Estes Park, Colorado

812 S/C Phaeton

• Josh Malks
More
27 Nov 2004 14:23 #2520 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Doug --- send me a SASE and I'll send you a copy of Al's plans, as published in the ACD Newsletter in the 1950s.

Al's water pump pulley, among other things, was about 20% smaller than the stock one. That makes the pump turn 20% faster, pushes water faster through the core, and may be part of the reason for Ric's avoidance of overheating.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds