Skip to main content

Side plate pictures and interior info.

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2017 13:38 #33934 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic Side plate pictures and interior info.
I cleaned part of the other side panel and sanded some of the paint. Here are pictures of what I have found. Under most of the black lower outer portions of the panels I did find gray under the black. Some areas did show a red primer under the gray. The portions above the fenders did not show any gray under the black. It had probably been stripped at some point.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peter Mustonen
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2017 13:02 #33933 by Peter Mustonen
Replied by Peter Mustonen on topic Side plate pictures and interior info.
Thank you Jonathan. Yes im slowly prepairing information and have ordered the book. I will not do the renovation my self but only research and decicions. Next project is also trying to finds pair of tailights.
R. Peter

• Peter Mustonen
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2017 12:56 #33932 by Peter Mustonen
We have to bera in mind that fcatory must have made whole bunch of replacement fenders too. Threy might be different in coating.

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2017 10:57 #33930 by Thomas Wilcock
Jonathon: I cleaned the outside of the panel and found the bottom section below the fender had only 1 coat of paint which was black. There was no primer below it so it could be original. There was also no evidence of the soundproofing material on it. There was gray visible as the first coat only on the top horizontal edge. When sanding through the green paint on the side above the fender line I came to a dark blue and then black, also with no primer beneath. There was no evidence of gray on the outside. Perhaps the outside was stripped before it was repainted in the past, but why then was the top edge not done. I wish I had the answer. I hope this is not confusing the issue.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2017 05:30 #33928 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Side plate pictures and interior info.
Thomas, Allan McCrary did not say the inside of the panels were sprayed with bituminous material but only the outside and below the fender. Looking at your cleaned up panel it appears that only the inside of the front fenders were sprayed with the bituminous material. Possibly it depended upon who was working on the line at the time as in the Engineering Change Notices it says all of the underside of the fenders were sprayed at final assembly.

T cockerell

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2017 04:11 #33927 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Side plate pictures and interior info.
Mr. Mustonen : The attachment of the front fenders to the front sheet metal and frame is a pretty complex group of fitments, Yes the fender bolts to the lower hood side panel but of equal importance is the fender brace which goes outward from the sub-frame to the lower mid section of the fender at what is often referred to as the "pontoon" . at the front of the fender the large bolt which attaches the front bumper face bar and brackets to the frame holds the fender as well. I highly recommend you acquire Josh Malk's book "Cord 810/812 / The Timeless Classic which has multiple illustrations to aid your understanding of the construction. There is also a heave arched brace at the mid point of the front wheel opening which attaches to the outer frane rail. We all want to help you so keep asking questions. There are no dumb questions. Merry Christmas . Jack Richards

• Peter Mustonen
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2017 02:34 #33926 by Peter Mustonen
So, it looks that the fender is just screwed on this panel from the inner lip. Should there be some bars or pins holding the fender straight and not flobbing?
r. Peter

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2017 01:32 #33925 by Jonathan Richards
Mr. Wilcox, Thank you for taking the time to clean up and examine your hood lower side panels to the front fenders, Based on what you have said and the photo images you sent I think it is established that these panels were painted in body color at the factory, on both inner and outer facing sides. Thanks for the effort and good progress to you in restoration of your Model 812 Cord.

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2017 20:35 #33922 by Thomas Wilcock
Jonathon: I have cleaned the back of one of my side panels. The gray color is now apparent.
Attachments:

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2017 12:16 #33920 by Thomas Wilcock
Jonathon: My first reply did not go through so here goes again. The original body color on my car was gray. It then was repainted black sometime in the late 30's or early 40's I think. It was then painted light green sometime in the late 40's. The side panels have gray on both sides as the original color. The outside only was later painted black. The last paint job was done with everything assembled so only the section of the side panels above the fender was repainted. There is no evidence of the insides having ever been sprayed with the bituminous sound proofing coating. I have not cleaned the dirt and grease from them yet but they are definitely painted gray both sides.

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2017 11:55 #33919 by Thomas Wilcock
Peter: I can make a paper pattern. It will be much too big for me to email it to you. I will have to mail it from the post office. You can PM me your mailing address if you wish.

• Peter Mustonen
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2017 11:30 #33918 by Peter Mustonen
Thomas That would be the best solution. Dimension could be taken so so from the excisting hole but pattern would make everything much more precise. Would you be kind and make the pattern for me? my mail. [email protected] Thank you very much!!
R, peter

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2017 10:53 #33917 by Thomas Wilcock
Peter: Are you planning to make the side plates? You will need many dimensions. It would be easier for you if I made an actual size paper pattern with some dimensions and detailed pictures . It still would be a challenge without having an original for guidance. I could mail you the paper outline if you wish.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2017 10:46 #33916 by Terry Cockerell
Jack from discussions with Allan McCrary the outer face was painted in body colour and then at final assembly the lower part below the fenders were sprayed with bitumen type body deadner which is certainly not shiny. From a production point of view it would be simpler to paint both sides of the panel in body colour, which is what I have seen on restored Cords in Auburn. Perhaps this needs further clarification but I think it makes sense.

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2017 23:09 #33910 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Side plate pictures and interior info.
Everything under the car was painted black even is some exterior color was over sprayed.Then everything under was shot with heavy undercoating. This was the factory way of making everything one color under the cars. Thats why the side panels are two different colors.

• Peter Mustonen
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2017 22:44 #33909 by Peter Mustonen
Thank you Terry. Thesee are helpful!!
R. Peter

• Peter Mustonen
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2017 21:46 #33908 by Peter Mustonen
Hello 1748 yes my question was more broad. My car came out from the factory very very green and interior is original but bad shape brownish wool. My intention is to paint the car black and Im looking for information how the black cars were looking at inside. My intension is to restorre interior nicely with original shade cloth and do it as it was made. But like a original black car. Im really not a fan of that greeen shade.
Regards Peter

• Peter Mustonen
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2017 21:28 #33907 by Peter Mustonen
Thank you so much Thomas. Thiis was most helpful. I wasnt sure if this is like pantera family but yees indeed it feels very warm and friendly! Thank you again.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2017 19:47 #33905 by Jonathan Richards
Inquirer Pete Mustonen will find the photo images of the side panels helpful, even without the requested dimensions. I have a question regarding refinishing the panels. Based on several years of observing Cord Model 810/812 I have the impression that the inner facing surface and the lower outward facing surface were painted shiny black and the vehicle color appeared only on the upper outward facing surface above the fender. Can someone clarify/answer this question. Thanks

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2017 13:44 #33903 by Thomas Wilcock
Here are pictures of the side plates for my car. There looks to be a small piece missing from the bottom of one but the other looks fine.
Attachments:

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2017 07:57 #33902 by Terry Cockerell
I have attached a couple of pictures of one of the engine bay side panels. Mine had been patched up with a new skin over the top half. They have since been repaired as per original but are in the panel shop which I do not access to over the Christmas period. Hope this is of some help.

T cockerell
Attachments:

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Dec 2017 04:55 #33884 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Side plate pictures and interior info.
Buy" Cord Complete" by Josh Malks to answer your questions.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, Peter Mustonen

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
19 Dec 2017 21:10 #33883 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Side plate pictures and interior info.
Welcome to the forum. Yes, There are specific colors and types of interiors to all the Cords. If you can contact the club 810 812 historian he will have the information your came from the factory like. Many times you can "find" the original color under what color the car came with when you purchased it. also the color and type of material the interior cam with is usually found under seats where the fabric is attached.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Mustonen

• Peter Mustonen
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Dec 2017 07:49 #33880 by Peter Mustonen
Side plate pictures and interior info. was created by Peter Mustonen
Hello. Newbie here. Just starting renovation on my 810 project and Im missing both side plates behind (inside)the front fenders and fender attachements. Would anyone share pictures and sizes of the plates? Another question about interiors: was there any particular code how the interior colours were done, or just by the order? Black exterior/black interior? or something else? Cheers. Peter