Skip to main content

Non Supercharged Air Filter

• Frank L
  • Visitor
01 Nov 2017 07:23 #33746 by Frank L
Replied by Frank L on topic Non Supercharged Air Filter
This is what I did.
K&N filter fits over pipe in bottom of silencer. hoseclamp on filter is tightened through small hole in bottom of can.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2017 03:30 #33745 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Non Supercharged Air Filter
Thanks Terry for the great information. My direction is very clear how I need to procede if I want a "real" filter element and to pound out some dents and dings. Its information shared like this that keeps these cars on the road...

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
31 Oct 2017 08:08 - 31 Oct 2017 08:10 #33743 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Non Supercharged Air Filter
Attached are the relevant pages from the Newsletter on converting the air cleaner. It is all laid out and pretty straight forward. I do not know what issue Newsletter the article was in.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 08:10 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding more information

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
31 Oct 2017 05:01 #33742 by Terry Cockerell
Here are some pictures showing what I found inside. I think I made some sketches of the bits to convert it to a cartridge filter. I will have a look for them.

T cockerell
Attachments:

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
31 Oct 2017 04:57 #33741 by Terry Cockerell
There is an article in one of the old Newsletters showing how to open the case. You have to carefully cut the shell using a hack saw. This from memory was done at the vertical flange close to the carburetor.
I did mine at the opposite end right next to the vertical flange. I found a tube inside that was difficult to remove as it has to be cut away in pieces with tin snips( hand shears) Eventually I was able to install a modern air filter cartridge.
I will have to find some pictures that I took at the time.

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
31 Oct 2017 01:07 - 31 Oct 2017 01:19 #33740 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Non Supercharged Air Filter
Great day today. Got home to find my filter was delivered.... So looking at it I'm not sure how to open it up. Mine is the filter that has the blades at the end where the air is drawn in. Its not the filter that has the round holesnwhere the air is drawn in. Anyone know how to open these up to clean or pound out any dents??? Thanks for any help.
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 01:19 by 1748 S.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
29 Oct 2017 03:41 #33736 by 1748 S
Non Supercharged Air Filter was created by 1748 S
My search is finally over. Last Thursday I purchased an original air filter for a fair price. I can't express the feelings of finally reaching this point. My search has been nearly 15 years. I have asked for a filter several times here to no avail. I was told that Tom dudely makes a very correct repro but... No matter how many emails I sent I got no response. Not a problem really. About 15 years back I "found one" on ebay so I offered plenty.. Nope... The seller wanted more and told me my offer needed to come way up if I wanted it. Randy Ema once told me a part was worth what someone was willing to pay for it. I believe that way too. Any air filter would have made my car a driver but I really wanted an original because I'm that kind of restorer. I will post pics when I have it in hand too. As always my pics will show the as found and as left after restoration.