Skip to main content

Front axle nut torque

• Davis McCann
  • Registered
More
18 Oct 2017 14:21 #33705 by Davis McCann
Replied by Davis McCann on topic Front axle nut torque
I use a 3/4" breaker bar with a 2 ft pipe extension. I weigh about 150 lbs. so when I stand at the end of the bar I am putting 300 ft lbs on the nut. This can be done no matter what you weigh, Just do the math.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
17 Oct 2017 08:34 #33698 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Front axle nut torque
Hi Jonathan. When I initially tightened my axle nuts I used a 3/4" drive ratchet with a two ft long pipe slipped over the handle. The total leverage was about three feet with the ratchet head supported on wooden blocks to keep the socket inline with the axle nut. Brute force was gradually applied until I figured it was enough. Later I was able to borrow a 1000 ft lb tension wrench and check the nuts at the required 300 ft lb. Surprisingly I was very close but a little under the mark.
A 1000 ft lb tension wrench is a bout 4 ft long and is quite heavy. At least I was able to get a check on my approximation which should be close enough for others.

T cockerell

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
17 Oct 2017 03:54 #33693 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Front axle nut torque
Thanks Gary Parsons for digging up this torque spec for the front drive spindle nut. I tightened mine with wheels on the ground using a long breaker bar and checking them after an 80 mile run they are still tight. Fingers crossed, as always. See you on the road, Jack Richards

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Oct 2017 18:16 #33689 by 1748 S
Front axle nut torque was created by 1748 S
A few months back jack Richard's had loose axle bearing nuts and wanted a torque number. I finally found it in the cord transmission manual. The torque is 300 ft lbs on these nuts. Hope this clears up any issues.