Skip to main content

babbitt bearings (one more time)

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
01 Oct 2017 08:26 #33613 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic babbitt bearings (one more time)
Hi Charles. Any chance of seeing a sketch of the drill jig you used ?
Thanks,
Terry

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charlesflick
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Sep 2017 14:26 #33612 by charlesflick
Replied by charlesflick on topic babbitt bearings (one more time)
your right about the jig to drill the hole, I forgot about that, Its been several years ago.

Charles Flick

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2017 07:30 #33608 by Terry Cockerell
Charles I will have to check the bearing shells as there should be a number on them. I am in Australia. I am not sure if you need to do anything to your connecting rods. Contact Bill Bicknell, Roger Von Bergen or George Arakelian their email addresses are in the Directory. They should be able to point you in the right direction.
I think doing the full flow oil filtration modification could be a tricky job as there is a sloping surface to be drilled through to reach the oil gallery above the pump. I think a drill jig may be required to keep things aligned.

T cockerell

• charlesflick
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 Sep 2017 17:23 #33607 by charlesflick
Replied by charlesflick on topic babbitt bearings (one more time)
I am doing the full flow oil filter on my engine. If i went to shell bearings what type is used in a cord? What machining needs to be done to the rods?

Charles Flick

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2017 01:51 #33585 by Terry Cockerell
I recently dismantled my 810 engine to find that the main babbit bearings were starting to disintegrate. The big end bearings had been converted to shell bearings back in the 1950s. The crankshaft needs grinding plus the block needs re-sleeving and new pistons as it was plus 0.065" already. A bypass oil filtration system had been installed many years ago but it was not up to the job. When you study the oil circulation diagram in Cord Complete you will see the main bearing journels closest to the oil pump can get the most grit in the oil and wear the most which is exactly what had happened to my engine.
To minimise problems in the future I am going to convert the block to full flow oil filtration. This modification had been designed by Lee Richardson in the past. Consequently I will be able to have made and fitted new phosphor bronze main bearings. New shells will be fitted to the big ends as well. Babbit bearings were designed to absorb grit. Proper filtration is the key to preserving a rebuilt engine.

T cockerell

• charlesflick
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2017 23:21 #33583 by charlesflick
babbitt bearings (one more time) was created by charlesflick
I delayed getting my rod bearings repaired and now i found that the owner of Harkin machine shop sold the business. It is now owned by George Gohilke but called Harkin Acola babbitt repair. Any one have experience or rumors?

Charles Flick