Skip to main content

Cord frame rail data help

• Slate
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Aug 2017 15:01 - 05 Aug 2017 02:53 #33369 by Slate
Replied by Slate on topic Cord frame rail data help
I bought hardware based on the estimated size. Should be good enough.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2017 02:53 by Slate. Reason: updated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Slate
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Aug 2017 15:00 #33368 by Slate
Pat, thanks. I might ask for photos later when I might move things around more. This had to travel about 12 hours so I'm using a full trailer.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2017 13:10 #33322 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord frame rail data help
I found a stub frame on eBay yesterday for $500.00.

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2017 12:20 #33320 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Cord frame rail data help
I have a 4" structural channel frame I made that bolts to the subframe. It consists of two separate channels that bolt to the subframe, then go straight forward for about two feet and then taper inward till they nearly touch each other. The front end has an upper and lower plates joining the channels (bolted). The upper plate has a 2" tube welded onto it with a standard 2" boat coupler attaches to it. I also included two sets of safety chains. I have used this many times trailering a Cord body with rear axle and rear tires installed. I utilize it also for moving around a couple of Cord bodies in my shop that are in the same state as you have listed. A magnetic base brake and stop light assembly can be purchased at Harbor Freight to complete your trailering needs. If you are anywhere close to Auburn, Indiana you can borrow this from me. If you want to make one, I can take a picture of it.

Pat Leahy

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2017 02:44 #33318 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord frame rail data help
I believe the bolts are 7/16 diameter but.. I need to look at what I have. My stub frame is off the car at this time so it will be simple. Your idea of the 10 incnh tires bolted to the firewall area of the frame is a good idea. Just make it easy on you and others by having a wench on the trailer to pull the car up on the trailer. Trying to push it up with caster wheels may prove a ruff job keeping them on the ramps.

• Slate
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Jul 2017 22:39 #33317 by Slate
I found a photo in my Cord photo archive and there are 2 bolt holes in the bottom of the frame rail. Anyone have any information on the bolt holes and frame measurement?

• Slate
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2017 22:52 #33310 by Slate
Cord frame rail data help was created by Slate
Hello. I am picking up a 810 body (firewall back only). I need to bolt something to the front rails (just forward of the firewall is all there is; nothing of the stub frame/piece of which the front suspension bolts) to trailer, not dolly, the thing. Since I am not near my project car at the moment and need to plan/buy some things, my questions are:
1) what is the bolt hole diameter(s?) on the frame rail - at the end where the stub frame would bolt to (there are about 4 or five on the side and two on the top)?
2) Are there any bolt holes on the bottom on the frame rail where the stub frame bolts?
3) What is the distance between the front rails near the firewall (I need to see if it will fit properly on the decked portions of the trailer.)?
4) Any suggestions for trailering a body with no front suspension/stub frame? (the body has the rear axle) I'm thinking of making a plywood castered dolly (10-in wheels) for each rail and bolt the dolly to the frame using 2x12s or similar

Thanks in advance