Skip to main content

How Many 810 & 812 Certified?

• RLT8066
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2004 20:59 #2391 by RLT8066
Replied by RLT8066 on topic How Many 810 & 812 Certified?
Thanks for the answers. I love my 812 and hope to be bringing it to Auburn next year.

Betsy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 Oct 2004 14:41 #2379 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic 810-812 Certification
Betsy & Kevin-

We believe that almost 2,000 Cords survive. We have a large U.S. customer base as well as those out of the U.S. we work with. I do not have an accurate count of those Cords that were shipped overseas new and those that have been shipped in recent times. There are more turning up, for instance, in South America than I ever thought before. It may be years before we know the actual survival rate. I think a safe figure today would be around 1800 Cords that we know of. Some may have been made into street rods or exist as bodies only, I can't distinguish because customers don't always tell you what model there car is every time. This is why we like to have the serial number info, so we can tell just what a person has and how it exists.

As for the standard Cabriolet being restored with a S/C engine. There is a place in certification to indicate changes. Many Cords have had parts mixed and matched over the years. This Cord could indicate a change to S/C engine and appearance. Still very certifiable at this time.

Also, items like seat belts, seal beam head lamps, radial tires, paint color, etc. have nothing to do with the certification process. Judging maybe, but certification no. Certification deals with the fact that the car is factory built and not of modern construction and records the known history of ownership - significant publication or display at events. It's sort of like a pettegree in ways. It could be many, many years before someone stamps out a replica Cord 4 door sedan in stell with all original "new" running gear. As ridiculus as this sounds, it has been done in more valuable A-C-D cars, model A and early V8 Fords, and now I see that the late 1960's Camaro and Mustangs are being reproduced.

As for materials, we try to utilize modern materials in parts we reproduce if they will not be seen. No one makes parts out of rubber these days and neoprene didn't exist until WWII as example.

Even though over 1,000 ACD cars have been certified, there are still a lot out there that haven't been. It's a big job and a thankless one. It involves a lot of people working behind the scene. But it can help owners with insurance, registration, theft, or accidents.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Kevin
  • Visitor
14 Oct 2004 00:33 #2362 by Kevin
Replied by Kevin on topic How Many 810 & 812 Certified?
Stan,
Not knowing all the particulars to the certifacation process, with the 810 Cabriolet (2597 F) we are working on. If the original, non supercharged engine has been replaced, with a supercharged engine. Does that disqualify the car for certification?

I guess I am wondering what degree of originality is required to have a certified car. Does it have to be "as built", or are some changes in regards to safety or improvement (such as the U-joints, radial tires, etc) allowed. And in our case, are performance updates allowed if using original parts.

If 2000 cars still exist, I suppose there are many in the same situation as ours, having been updated using parts from the ones that didn't survive.

Just curious, as this could explain the relatively low number of cars currently certified.

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
07 Oct 2004 22:38 #2338 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic certified remaining 810-812's
The remaining total is a question I have always had also. If there were approximately 3000 Cord 812+810?s manufactured in the original production, how many survived? I have heard 2/3rd of the Cords survived, being so pretty many were saved from the WWII scrap drives. This should leave 2000 cars out there.
I can?t imagine there are more than 500, maybe 1000 remaining but 1500 to 2000! It would be interesting to know all of the remaining autos whereabouts. Were 500 shipped overseas? How many may be resting in some secluded country?
If 365 have been certified they must have been in very nice condition. Even a body without running gear would be considered a survivor. There are good records of the manufactured total but what about the true survival total?

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2004 21:44 #2331 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Certified Cars
Betsy-

367 Cords have been reviewed for certification. Sometimes an owner doesn't follow up and order a certificate or a Cord changes hands and the new owner doesn't request a transfer. This is quite a few cars to be examined and reviewed by the certification folks but there are still a lot of Cords out there.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• RLT8066
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2004 00:54 #2329 by RLT8066
How Many 810 & 812 Certified? was created by RLT8066
How many 810 and 812 Cords are certified by the ACD club to date?

Betsy in Ohio