Engine aluminium oxidation

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 May 2017 22:39 #32949 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Engine aluminium oxidation
Thanks, John,
Spent some time with a nylon brush and the white "fluff" brushed right off. Wiped the area done with a microfiber cloth and it looks great!

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
13 May 2017 17:01 #32942 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Engine aluminium oxidation
You can go after such with wire "tooth" brushes available at any good hardware store.
Also, some wire spoke wheel cleaners may be used, but the "serious" types for heavy oxidation/corrosion cleaning tend to be very hard on paint (ie they are acidic). Perhaps play around with rag application and then make sure to neutralize.
There are some better grade penetrating oils and surface preservation oils (military grade) that you could regularly apply to help prevent. Also, perhaps such as Armour All. Keep in mind that silicone is not the best if you anticipate paint work at any point.

I have been playing around with cleaning up under the hood of 20's car that is a heavy use aluminum - I just do inch squares and spend hours upon hours - no easy fix.

JMM

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 May 2017 15:06 #32908 by wcoye
Engine aluminium oxidation was created by wcoye
Hi, I recently moved from from very dry California to humid North Carolina. This spring I have found what I think is a considerable amount of white fuzz/powder on the aluminium parts of my Westchester's engine. What's the best way of cleaning this stuff off without tearing the engine apart? The car is always garaged and I run a dehumidifier but it can't keep up with our humidity.
Thanx in advance.
Billy Bassoon

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award