Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral

More
04 Jan 2017 01:15 #32218 by uconn_1965
uconn_1965 replied the topic: Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral
An easy solution is to cut a pieceof wood to theproper length that it fully depresses the clutch and fit's just inside the lower lip of
the lower dash. That way the transmission is not engaged and you can idle the engine as long as you want and nothing is turning in the transmission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2017 18:26 #32230 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral
Using a block of wood to hold the clutch pushed in so we can idle for long times seems like it will add lots of wear on the throwout bearing. I learned that our throwout bearing is no longer available. So 2 questions.
Is our throwout bearing available.
Is doing the clutch in going to wear out any other pieces.
Interested in what others have to say on this. Its the only way we learn about these cars.

More
10 Jan 2017 07:21 #32240 by Frank L
Frank L replied the topic: Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral
Whenever I need the engine to idle for a longer period I prop up the car so the front wheels are off the ground and set the car in gear.

I always wonder about the height of the suction pipe/port of the gearbox pump so I also prop up the rear just to be on the safe side.
Frank

More
10 Jan 2017 17:50 #32247 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: Transmission Oil Pumping in Neutral
The level of the trans oil will not be a problem when you lift the front end to run the engine and trans while on jacks. Really no need to also lift the rear of the car. If your car sits for long periods maybe it will be better on the tires to suspend them so they do not flat spot. I imagine something like what indy cars have to lift them when they come in for tires and fuel may work nicely too. Even 4 inexpensive bottle jacks all connected to one pump might work very well too. Or if you want something special look into a hydraulic jack system called Portapower. Simple. Light weight and easy to find but expensive.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds