Radial Tires on the 810/812

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2004 21:50 #2258 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic Radial Tires on the 810/812
AL
TRY DIAMOND BACK CLASSICS,ADD LAST PAGE HEMMINGS.
GOT TWO SETS OF RADIALDS FROM THEM FOR OTHER CARS VERY PLEASED.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2004 19:09 #2253 by Al Light
Replied by Al Light on topic Radial Tires on the 810/812
Universal Tire keeps saying that they will have 650-R16 White Wall Radials. I send e mail and asked if they would be ready for Hershey. Answer was no! Representative said the last he had heard was not until the end of 2004.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2004 13:46 #2252 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Radial tubes
Back to the subject. Tom, please re-read my radial tire article, and perhaps reconsider the use of tubes in your rear radials.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2004 00:48 #2248 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Radial Tires on the 810/812
Yes, Bill, that was my 2nd Custom Beverly. Quite a unique color combination if I say so. Wife want a two tone red/maroon color combination, so I used some tinted primer. Didn't quite come out right yet. Last year it was without front sheet metal. I hope to have it in driving condition next year. As always I am looking for lost causes, I'll send you my latest purchase, Cord #4. My sister in law is going to have to get a bigger yard in Auburn to hold them all. See picture gallery for more info.

Pat Leahy

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2004 16:40 #2247 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Wrecked Beverly
This is off topic so I will keep it short. Please take pictures as you progress with the restoration of your Beverly. It was nice seeing you and the Beverly at Auburn.

Is that red Cord also yours? I passed it on Friday on my way to the Country Club for lunch.

It was in someone's garden. I thought it was a rather unique planter! Then I saw a picture of you with it.

What's the story?

• tom clarke
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2004 17:59 #2233 by tom clarke
Replied by tom clarke on topic Use of Radial Tires - And Tubes
In my case I put the new Valley Wire Wheel wheels on the front of the car, and went tubeless with them. I used a couple of the old "heavy" wheels for the rear of the car, and did use a 16" radial tube for them. I gather you can seal up the old wheels and try them tubeless as well, but felt the investment in tubes was worthwhile.
Took the car out yesterday and ran 50-55 MPH for the first time in 10 years. Stable as can be, but then I had to come home and clean the grease off the new whitewalls that the left outer U-joint had thrown. One of these days I do the Richardson conversion and eliminate the leaking grease issue, but one thing at a time.

Tom Clarke

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
15 Sep 2004 11:37 #2222 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Radial Tires
I also purchased a set of radial tires for my Custom Beverly (see wrecked photos in Picture Gallery). I drove my car on the Hoosier Tour this year, and it made a tremendous difference. I had no problem with rear wheel clearance either. I had my old rims demounted, checked for straightness, sealer applied to rim rivets inside, and mounted without tubes. Anyone considering setting up a car for touring needs radials.

Pat Leahy

• Bill McLaughlin
  • Registered
More
15 Sep 2004 00:46 #2218 by Bill McLaughlin
Replied by Bill McLaughlin on topic Radial Tires
Tom:

Am interested in your radial tire report. I am about to change tires on my 812 Westchester and am consideing radials.

Couple of basic questions. With original Cord "heavy" wheels, do you use tubes (if so any special type as they all seem to say "not to be used with radial tires") and flaps ?

If you don't use tubes, how do get the valve to stay in the wheel - as the opening looks too large for a normal valve stem ? Also, I've wondered if the wheel is airtight ? Obviously, if you use tubes neither of these problems are really problems !

Thanks for the info.

Bill McLaughlin

• tom clarke
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2004 18:00 #2213 by tom clarke
Radial Tires on the 810/812 was created by tom clarke
Josh Malks published an article in the Newsletter about a year ago regarding radial tires on the 810/812. At the time I was waiting for a couple of new rims I had pledged to Mike Rizenman of Valley Wire Wheel. Those were received about the time of the article, and I gave thought to putting on the new wheels and radials at the same time.
Well you know how time gets away, and it is now Summer, 2004 and I finally ordered four 215/75/16 radial tires from Diamond Back Classics, and they arrived last week.

I put the new wheels on the front, and used 2 original wheels on the rear of the car, all mounted with the new radial tires, and I'm telling you the difference in the handling of the car is dramatic. It drives straight and true, and corners like I have never felt before.

My question of anyone willing to offer an opinion is whether I should change the caster/camber setting, and/or toe-in/tow-out from original Cord specifications now that the radials are the tire of choice.

And I strongly encourage any of you who want to drive your car on the road to consider this change. You won't be disappointed.

Tom Clarke
Miles City, MT