Balancing Cord 810 812 Brake Drums

• balinwire
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
01 Nov 2016 22:33 #31884 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: Re: Balancing Cord 810 812 Brake Drums
Hi Mike, good point about possible damage. I had the 812 lifted and went thru first, second, third and forth, wheels turning and no binding or any damage done. I get nervous the balancer could fly free and damage the fender and anything near it. This model will work on the modern steel wheels. I am not sure but the L29 has 17" wheels? I dont think this type balancer will accomadate the larger wheels in wire or wood spoke. Its just a test platform for now, In theory it should work, balancing all the moving mass as one load. I never have got over 45 mph yet and my bias tires never shook even though the re-centered wheels still need truing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
03 Nov 2016 09:44 #31886 by Terry Cockerell
Terry Cockerell replied the topic: Re: Balancing Cord 810 812 Brake Drums
Thanks for you replies and suggestions.
At present I am making some steel weights to add to my drums. Yesterday I went along to a tyre (tire) shop to get the drums statically balanced on a wheel balancing machine. When the owner and I did the first drum he asked what type of car they were from. When I explained an 810 Cord he said "It looks like you know what you are doing so you do the other drums yourself." I was a bit stunned but took up the offer.
One front drum was perfect and didn't require any weight.
The other one was out by 100 grams and it was the worst.
The two rear drums were out by around 70 grams.
When finished I asked the owner how much I owed him. "Nothing ." was the reply. I said how thankful I was and asked could I recheck the drums when I had finally added the steel weights. "No problem>" was his generous reply.
When I get the weights finished and welded in place I will post some pictures. I have pressed the weights into a curved shape that will sit against the steel flange of the brake drums.
I told the guy in the tyre shop that I would by my tyres from him from now on.
Attached is a picture showing the method I found on the Internet for statically balancing the drums.

T cockerell
Attachments:

More
06 Nov 2016 14:35 #31889 by Thomas Wilcock
Thomas Wilcock replied the topic: Re: Balancing Cord 810 812 Brake Drums
I am curious if anyone has tried balancing wheels with Dyna Beads. It is used mainly for aircraft tires, tractor trailers and motorcycles but I see no reason not to use it in passenger cars as well. I think it is meant for tubeless tires. The ceramic beads are put in the tires and automatically keep them in balance. If you Google Dyna Beads balancing there are several sites. I recently had one of my Indian motorcycle flywheels balanced with mercury. A circular steel tube with some mercury in it is imbedded into one of the flywheels. The balance is good for any speed and piston weight. This works on the same principle as the bead balancing for tires. I am considering trying the beads in my van tires and if that works well them my Cord will get the same when it is ready. Tom

More
07 Nov 2016 12:36 #31891 by Thomas Wilcock
Thomas Wilcock replied the topic: Re: Balancing Cord 810 812 Brake Drums
Further research indicates that tires with inner tubes can also be balanced with Dyna Beads.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
10 Nov 2016 02:32 #31901 by Terry Cockerell
Terry Cockerell replied the topic: Re: Balancing Cord 810 812 Brake Drums
Well I finally finished balancing my brake drums this morning. After I had made suitable weights for the wheels they were welded to the side of the drums in the required locations.
I made sure there was space for the weights by using modeling clay as a trial between the rims and brake drums. The drums had repairs already done in the form of building up the areas where the wheel rim dimples sit.These had been machined to give a flat surface.
Again putting each drum on the wheel balancing machine and testing them I found they were out as expected due to the weight of the welds. Noting the small imbalance and marking the location I used a small angle grinder to remove the required amount of metal from the added weights. This required a bit of trial and patience as I didn't want to remove too much weight.
I noticed each time I re-positioned each drum on the machine the results varied by plus and minus 5 grams.
I settled for that and believe it will be a great improvement above 60 mph.
Now I just have to have the body repairs finished, get it painted and put it all back together.
Terry Cockerell
Australia

T cockerell
Attachments:

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
13 Nov 2016 03:26 #31905 by mikespeed35
mikespeed35 replied the topic: Re: Balancing Cord 810 812 Brake Drums
I have looked into Dyna Beads. Most times they are not used in tubes. Once they are put into a tube they are very difficult to remove. I have spoken to people who will use them after they balanced the tire the regular way. If you add the beads and are not happy with the results they are difficult to balanced any other way without removing the beads as they settle to the bottom of the tire each time the tire stops rotating and rebalance on each start up. The idea of the beads bouncing around on the tube on each start up is why I did not try them. If stickers put holes in tubes what will the beads do if they bounce in the same area time after time. If some one tries them please let us know how they work. I certainly have been wrong many times before.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds