Trans Cover Name Tag

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2016 05:46 #31763 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: Trans Cover Name Tag
Thank you John for the great explanation on this question. I realize my car was NOT a renumbered 1936. My car was made in the months of Jan. & Feb, 1937. So it clearly by the serial number information I have gathered over the years is a true 1937 car.
My car came off the roads here in California approx. 1949. This is when a Mr. Hamlin owned it for a brief time. He was the president later of the Tucker club. I have several correspondence between him and Dallas Winslow. He sold the car to a Mr D.E. Funnicum in 1950 or 1951. He owned it till my father purchased the car in 1961. He also corresponded with Dallas Winslow about parts availability... At some time, Maybe before these 2 previous owners this car had a few changes made to it.
The steering wheel is smooth.
I have an electric trunk latch.
The front name tag is a 2 piece.
Sealed beam headlights added.
The glove box keys had a radio knob fitted to the end of them.
At one time there was a driver's side spotlight. It was gone when Dad purchased the car and nicely removed on the outside but a hole was left on the inside.
A very nice rear view mirror was fitting to the outside of the drivers door. Also on the front edge of the same door there is a section that was filed down to accept probably a different mirror.
I'm not certain if these "changes came off the assembly line as a "special order" or as a dealer installed item. What matters is this is how the car came to me. Changing it back to what is considered "a factory recognised standard" kind of hurts because I'm changing something to conform to an agreed understanding as to what it correct for this mark.
I'm finding my restoration progress looking more like a museum Pebble Beach car and not the semi driver that I had planned for. I have tried to show and share all my parts restoration with this forum too. At the present I'm restoring the main shift vacuum cylinder. Still not sure if I will replace the leather piston cups with neoprene of not. My leather cups are in excellent condition and fully flexible and soft. They even still have the maker's stamp on the back side easily readable. I recall it was the Belting Company or something like that. I will add a close up pic later of this name stamp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2016 02:53 #31762 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic Re: Trans Cover Name Tag
I don't know if you have ever attended the judging technical sessions at Auburn but in the process of reviewing a car each year some good bits of information are put forth. This past year a simple statement relative to your question was made. 810 cars have a 2 piece crest and 812 cars have a single piece crest.
According to engineering change records the first 37 812 off the assembly line was SN1526. Applying the simple statement would require that your car have a single piece crest.
If I stopped here your question has been answered, but few things about the 810's and 812's are simple. Most everyone is aware that a significant number of the 810's were renumbered as 812's. These renumbered 812's fell in the SN range between 1001 and 1525. These cars would have been originally manufactured with a 2 piece crest but in addition to getting a new 812 number they could have also been updated with some of of the 812 appearance items that an astute Cord buyer may have been aware existed for the new model such as locks on the glove compartment doors, new style hubcaps or maybe a single piece crest for the "A student" buyers. The exact updates could have varied depending on where the updates were accomplished. Your car doesn't fall in this number sequence so again your car should have the single piece crest.
Since the institution of the "new judging standards" there also has been a simple statement made that the standard for authenticity is to judge the car's features relative to the way it was manufactured "i.e. came out the factory door". Where does that leave renumbered 812's?
P.S. As the tech session was concluding I mentioned to the 810/812 team leader that we need to write down all the info that is discussed during the sessions. He said that would be a good job for me. I didn't agree to take it on but I hope the answer to your question is satisfactory for you.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2016 00:06 #31736 by 1748 S
Trans Cover Name Tag was created by 1748 S
On my 37 beverly I have the two piece name tag. If this correct for my car numbered as 1748 S??? Thanks for any help on this.