Shifting fun ............

More
08 Aug 2016 02:54 #31481 by ilikescars
ilikescars replied the topic: Re: Shifting fun ............
Tom: Thanks for that bit of information on keeping the clutch engaged at idle. That's something I didn't know: I'll have to make a little note on the dash to remind myself

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2016 04:50 #31483 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: Re: Shifting fun ............
Sadly our trans was not well designed. Gears small and angles steep. Then we need the wheels turning so it can get lube to the important main shaft bushings and bearings. Whats with all that...
I agree we need to run the cars for the trans oil to circulate but... My trans NEVER had oil in it from sometime before 1961 when my father purchased the car as a basket case. I recall sometime in the late 1967 year dad and I with a friend reassembled the car to move it home from a business storage barn that was needed for other stuff. I'm not sure but I recall I was sitting in the car when it was towed home. It was somehow shifted into gear and I held my foot of the clutch depressed. the trip was about 12 miles. Remember no oil in the trans nor the differential either. Then in 1974 the car was trailered to my home shop garage. Engine was smei rebuilt so I got it rewired and started the engine. Ran it for maybe an hour ... I fixed the brakes and wife and I drove it around our block.. No mufflers but had the down pipes. Sure did rumble. I probably ran this engine for 4 or 5 hours over the next we years. Remember no oil in trans. One time I had the trans cover off and actually shifted thru all gears. Still not oil. Now forwards to 2014 when I discovered the wheels MUST turn for oil to lube the trans... Well still no oil in trans. I opened the trans expecting to see many burned bearings and bushings.. Nope.. Not a one. I did find some new gears and sadly 2nd 3rd synchro had no springs or balls in it. they were not in the bottom of the trans either. They NEVER got installed. So all this worry about no oil when the wheels are not moving.. I completely agree. I just can't explain why my trans was not burned up from no oil but several hours of spinning. Maybe it was because no pressure was placed on the bushings or gears or bearings.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
08 Aug 2016 10:50 #31484 by Terry Cockerell
Terry Cockerell replied the topic: Re: Shifting fun ............
What you need to carry is called a "Clutch Stick". It is a bit of 1 1/2" by 3/4" timber ( or similar ) just long enough to fit under the edge of the dash and hold the clutch pedal on the floor. It is very useful in emergencies.
I have read it is ok to run the engine for short periods with the gear selector in neutral. It is not recommended to run the engine for beyond 10 to 15 minutes while in neutral. If necessary jack up one wheel and let it spin.

T cockerell

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2016 07:20 #31494 by
replied the topic: Re: Shifting fun ............
Thanks for all the reply's.
The woodruff key,cross shaft and front cover problem is a nice one!
All adjustments on switches are ok.
Problem does not seem to be electrical.

Does anyone know how much vacuum to expect.
Is 7.5 psi in the ball park?
Most vacuum problems I've read about mention to much vacuum, but no hard numbers.

Thanks

Frank

More
10 Aug 2016 22:12 #31496 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: Re: Shifting fun ............
I'm betting the vacuum we use is probably up around 20 inches of mercury. Reason I suspect this is we shift when the throttle plates are closed in the carb and that makes lots of vacuum for shifting. Some have said its too much so they fabricated "adjusters" we can install on the solenoid block. Then the shifts are easier on the trans.. So I'm told. If you have issues like you mentioned with those specific gears it might be time to replace the solenoid rubber seals. Its not a brain surgery job but it does involve removing the trans cover. then the vacuum hoses to the solenoid block. then remove the block and repair it on the bench. If you want I can show pics of how it comes apart and what the seals look like.

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Aug 2016 14:24 #31500 by
replied the topic: Re: Shifting fun ............
Thanks, 20 inHg is about 9,8 psi, I measure about 7,5 psi, close enough probably.
I would appreciate a couple of pictures of the solenoid block.
Thanks
Frank

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds