Skip to main content

Oil Pump Internals

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
17 Apr 2016 04:13 #30975 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Re: Oil Pump Internals
Yes, the shims are to rise oil pressure. There is a point of no return with shims. After a certain amount of shims you get no more pressure. We also used to stretch the springs to get the same result.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Apr 2016 18:24 #30974 by 1748 S
Oil Pump Internals was created by 1748 S
Finally opened the oil pump just to have a look. Found some odd spring shims as can be seen in the pics. Does anyone know if this is how the pump spring was shimmed for pressure? The first nut under the cap is brass. the second nut has been ground down a bit but the next nut is normal thickness. they both are steel too. From the look of the screws that holds the pump together it appears this has been opened and rebuilt at least once. To say there is wear on the plates is a stretch but you can see very little. I can not feel any lip with my finger tips either.
It appears the pickup has a seal part to insure it floats in the oil but the cover has some dents in it. I have a spare and it too has almost the same dents. Just wondering. Thanks for any help.
BTW my warmed up oil pressure when running many years ago was always up there around 55 or 60 lbs if my memory is correct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.