Skip to main content

Distributor Restroation Pics

More
18 Apr 2016 09:22 #30977 by jal
Replied by jal on topic Re: Distributor Restroation Pics
Very good, thanks. :D

casa lopez

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2016 08:28 #30976 by 5-ht
Replied by 5-ht on topic Re: Distributor Restroation Pics
Thanks for posting these excellent pictures.
According to Auto-Lite documentation, the original part number for the condenser is IG-2671 and the part number for the points is IGP-3028A.

Mark

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
16 Apr 2016 16:05 #30973 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: Distributor Restroation Pics
I found some before pics of my distributor. I don't think my condenser is the correct one for this points set becausae the mount was bent to fit this plate. Can anyone tell me what the correct part number is for a condenser? I have installed a new set of points and have a new condenser but would like to know the correct part numbers bor both. thanks and enjoy the pics.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
08 Apr 2016 21:12 #30938 by 1748 S
Today I reassembled the dist. I used some assembly grease I've had for many years just to allow the wrmed up engine oil time to reach the bushings. I tried to show the most important areas of assembly but if anyone has questions I can explain what I found. I receiently found a new dist name tag but would need the letter and number punches. Still time for that if I wanted to restore to better than it left the line. Some refer to that type or restoration as.... Over restored. Still not sure if I want that type of restoration.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
07 Apr 2016 21:45 #30936 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: stamped numbers on tag

ilikescars wrote: Maybe after the distributor was quality-inspected on the line, it was stamped by the person doing the inspection....

This is a good possibility. Sadly it looks like someone should have done a quality inspection of the inspection stamp. It appears to be a lazy H with an A stamped half way under the stamp strip. But no matter. It is what it was. I just finished painting it black after masking off the stamps strips. Then sanded down so the lettering stands out as was original. The Autolite name tag had some "distress on it from years of bumping round a repair or shop table. It has a vintage look with some nicks here and there.
As seen in some of the first set of pics. This distributor was rebuilt and painted primer red. So there was no need for bushing or shaft repairs. Just free up and paint. Then reassembly and grease the bushing and moving weights.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
07 Apr 2016 20:14 #30934 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Re: stamped numbers on tag
Maybe after the distributor was quality-inspected on the line, it was stamped by the person doing the inspection....

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
07 Apr 2016 15:39 #30930 by 1748 S
Here is a pic of the letters close up.
Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
07 Apr 2016 14:06 #30929 by 1748 S

Curt Schulze wrote: Has anyone figured out what the characters on the RH side of the tag designate ?

I have wondered about these too. I will get a close up pic and post it here later.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
07 Apr 2016 12:15 #30928 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: Distributor Restroation Pics
Has anyone figured out what the characters on the RH side of the tag designate ?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
06 Apr 2016 23:17 #30926 by 1748 S
Distributor Restroation Pics was created by 1748 S
Today I decided to open and clean up my already rebuilt dist. A couple of years ago I felt the advance was a little sticky. Car came off the road in 1951 I believe. It was very interesting how it came apart too. The top cam rotor is held to the main shaft with a really modified ring clip. It can be seen in the lower right hand area of one pic. My body was painted red primer and felt that was original color but nope. I was told it was a gloss black and sure nuff. Under the name tag was that black color as seen in one of the pics. I will probably media black the inside and outside of the body later. The cap clips will be replaced from Stan as will the points plate. I do not need a new plate but feel it will be a nice touch. Enjoy the pics and if you need answers to how it comes apart please ask. The most difficult part was the top advance ring clip.