Skip to main content

Front spring

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 Jun 2003 18:51 #375 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Spring Cover Pictures
Here's a picture of some spring covers. Hopefully I've done the image insert right.

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
10 Jun 2003 14:16 #373 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Front spring
Segmented metal covers on the rear springs. No covers at all on the front spring.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
10 Jun 2003 13:32 #371 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic leafs
On the subject of leafs I have seen covers on the rears. I think they were stock.

I would assume leaf springs were packed with grease and the cover was to keep them from dirt and sand.

Did the front spring have a cover? Mine are all since disappeared or the canvas, if there was any, has rotted away.

balin?

• Dutch Jacobs
  • Visitor
21 Apr 2003 15:25 #166 by Dutch Jacobs
Replied by Dutch Jacobs on topic Front spring
Excellent!

-Thank you...

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
20 Apr 2003 21:20 #161 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Front spring
First, some general comments:

1. Many Cords have had well-meaning modifications made to them in their earlier lives than were inauthentic, often useless, sometimes destructive. So, the mere presence of a certain modification on two or three Cords merely means that three previous owners had the same notion. It does not testify to the usefulness or accuracy of that notion.

2. Many concerns, like those involving transverse leaf springs, are generic. (A few makes ther than Cord used many million of them!) How to best deal with the effects of time on leaf springs is a subject dealt with by many periodicals, as well as bye popular street rodding mags. Believe me, these guys KNOW.)

3. The ACD Club's Nesletters and Technicians can help with many questions. (Alas, many of the Techs are not computer-savvy, so you'll have to use more traditional forms of communications.)

All that is prelude to:

A. Cord front springs have two main leaves. (Owners in post-war yearsoften added a third to counteract sagging. A new spring works much better :-)

B. Slip-Plate, made for agricultural uses, is a graphite-impregnated paint. Teflon strips between leaves, at the ends, helps them keep sliding.

Keep workin' on those Cords, guys! (If you need more details let me know.)

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Dutch Jacobs
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2003 19:45 #159 by Dutch Jacobs
Replied by Dutch Jacobs on topic Front spring
As to the number of leaves - if you have three, it must be correct I would think.

Now to the meat of the matter -

I will soon be undertaking the same task, and my personal preference is to disassemble the leaf pack as much as possible in order to look for serious damage and to cancel any rust that is already on it.

I have been wondering if there is a surface treatment that could be used rather than just paint - anodising possibly.

And yet on a leaf spring, a certain amount of rubbing will take place - so neither paint nor a 'trick' coating may be a good idea. It may be that cleaning it up once good, and applying teflon or lithium lubricant is the best route, even though I'd like them to stay clean and neat looking.

It has crossed my mind to assemble them with lithium between the leaves and then paint the exposed areas with a rust preventive paint of some kind, but again - I keep thinking there must be a surface treatment for the metal. Any parts that managed to rub bare between the leaves I think I could live with...

• R Coleman
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Apr 2003 17:45 #158 by R Coleman
Front spring was created by R Coleman
What is the best way to finish the front spring. Dissassemble and paint or use graphite or teflon between the leaves. Any graphite paint available? How many lower leaves(the long ones with the 1" hole--2 or 3. Both my sets have 3 lower leaves--the book describes only 2.

Bob
810 2350H
812 31649S