Skip to main content

Very tired 37 Beverly

• moodier
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2004 02:51 #2070 by moodier
Replied by moodier on topic Very tired 37 Beverly
Mark;
You did a good deed though as I got enthused and went home and called the fellow to try to get him going on the Cord.Hopefully he won't back out this time!HAve talked to several people on here that have helped some of my concerns over parts etc.Was concerned over the shift ,electrics but it looks like that can be delt with too.Sorry if gave the wrong impression re the trailering or put the wrong emphasis on it.Problem now if he goes thru have to pick the car up in Ca.But will be there in couple months anyway.Hate snow!!Again thanks!Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark anderson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2004 02:27 #2069 by mark anderson
Replied by mark anderson on topic Very tired 37 Beverly
[I think I'm the one he was talking about trailering my car if it is over 20 miles from home. I love to drive the car as much as any other cord owner.
but after siting at a car show all day in the hot sun it is nice to go home in
the comfort of air conditioning. I went home with a trophy that day he did
not I'm not scared to drive the car I'm scared of all the teenage girls on
cell phones that drive like idiots. i shaw the pitchers of pats car and do not
want my car to look the same. if the roads had as much traffic as they did
in the 1930 I would drive it every day to work. you just cannot buy parts at the local auto store.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
10 Aug 2004 14:22 #2059 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Very tired 37 Beverly
These days some folks trailer their restored Model A Fords! The fella you met who trailers his Cord if the distance to be travelled is over 20 miles would do the same for any car he owned.

Wanna see a Cord drive? Go to [url:1nneu6sq]http://www.automaven.com/Travels_In_My_Cord/travels_in_my_cord.htm[/url:1nneu6sq]

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• moodier
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2004 12:06 #2058 by moodier
Hi;Thanks again for the reply.Time will tell now as I have been offered this car in the far past15yrs ago and owner backed out so will see.Afraid it needs lot of work haven't seen it for that long either.Did get the maintenance manuals etc for it looks kind of scary with that front drive system but sounds like from what you say that it is possible to find necessary parts.Trouble is would like something can drive.Was talking to fellow with bueatiful cord at recent car show said if more than 20 miles they trailer it,not my idea of a useful car if has to be hauled everywhere!Again thanks for the info!

• Ric Simpson
  • Registered
More
09 Aug 2004 14:19 #2055 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic Tired Beverly
Hi! There are lots of Cord parts out there! Sometimes you have to enjoy the hunt! Restoring a Cord is never easy. Money helps sometimes, but I believe money alone won't do it. It is a very different car and it can't be done in a hurry. Knowledge is the hardest thing to find, and yet there are lots of people/owners that will gladly help. I have found that most of the parts are relatively reasonably priced. The original jack will cost you a fortune, but you don't need it, and wouldn't use it if you had one. Original headlights fetch a high price but ordinary sealed beams work better, and look just as good when the headlights are down. When they are up, they should be on and it is night so you can't see them then either. Bragging rights are expensive! Valves, guides, pistons, rings, bearings, etc are all about the same price new as any other car. Used cylinder heads can be made to work. I'd rather use the new ones, but my original ones have served me well for 50 years! Hot rods are great. If your engine blows, just get another from the wreckers for a few hundred. I'd rather be driving a real Cord. If I need a perfectly reliable car for an occasion, I have a Rolls-Royce. When I want an extreme high, I hop into my s/c Phaeton put the afghan hounds in the back and drive through the park in Niagara Falls, 12 miles away. I probably generate enough business for the dozen or so chiropractors in the area for a month. It really snaps heads as I go by! I always feel 10' taller when people ask, "Is that a Real Cord?" When I say yes, the usually answer, "WOW!"
To locate parts, join the ACD club, attend meets, talk to people, show that you are a true enthusiast who loves the cars. If you only want to make a fast buck, they will know, and the prices will be much higher! Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

• moodier
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Aug 2004 12:19 #2052 by moodier
Thanks for the reply.You said something about parts being available now.Are there any poutfits that repo them etc.Don't know what might need but years of dealing with antique M/Cs I have found many outfits repo'ing parts for them just wondered if such outfits exist in the Cord world too.The few adds I have seen for parts here tend to make me think Street Rod again!I could almost repower it for what they want for one piece!!Suppose that is the price of dealing with a rare car!Thanks

• Ric Simpson
  • Registered
More
07 Aug 2004 20:54 #2043 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic tired Beverly
Hi! I strongly recommend that you keep or find a genuine original engine! That is part of the romance of owning the car. I believe the second most asked question you will be asked is, "Is that the original engine?". There are still many blocks around, the parts aren't too hard to find. The cost won't be as bad as the rest of the car, and the rewards are many!
My engine came out of a Phaeton that had an Olds '98 engine installed using the Cord transmission and front wheel drive. It was a great car to bomb around in, but.....
That was back in 1957! when parts and help were a lot harder to find! Ric Simpson.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

• moodier
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 Aug 2004 03:27 #2023 by moodier
Very tired 37 Beverly was created by moodier
Hi;THis may get me hung by you all but have a question!THis car has sat uncared for for probably 40+years.It is pretty well destroyed I think haven't seen it for 10 years but it may be for sale again.I am wondering about repowering it?Would guess no modern front drives would work due to the placement of wheels etc.That leaves the idea of a modern V-8,auto etc.I know this is an unspeakable idea but yet I don't see where this car could be put back into reliable condition for any reasonable sum of $$.Asking if you have any printable thoughts on this!!Thanks