• Tom_Parkinson
  • Tom_Parkinson's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
30 Jul 2016 21:35 #31433 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic: Re: Re-assembling Cord 1509 A Westchester
Hi,

(Gary: 1728 S--you may want to make note of this oddity for your restoration.)

I just spent a VERY informative hour or so learning about headliners from the 1973 Newsletters. The disk of past issues is priceless. While surfing the upholstery articles I found a great article on adjusting the Wagner-Lockheed brakes.

Anyway, I drew some conclusions about the headliner. Conclusion # 1: an old fat man will not be doing this squat and bend work inside the car. Conclusion #2: the 810/812 headliner metal bows are uniquely installed inside the piping that separates the cloth panels. Every other headliner in the history of the world has its metal rods strung through a pocket formed on the roof-side of the headliner above the piping. That means that a mass fabricator likely will not be able to make this headliner for me unless I send him the rods, carefully numbered. I'm a little (actually, a lot) loathe to do that.

I also found that the windlace for 1509A is the wire-on style, which actually looks fairly easy to work with. (Oh, I'll regret saying that!)

Well, I have a vintage sewing machine. I have the metal bows. I can order wool broadcloth fabric and wire-in windlace in matching colors. I know how to measure.

I just need a pattern. Anyone know a source?

And likely a LOT of beer.

And the process goes on...

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2016 22:06 #31434 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: Re: Re-assembling Cord 1509 A Westchester
Ton my brakes are Bendix.
My headliner was removed but I still have it in my garage rafters. Have not seen it in probably 40 years when I put it up there. I do know of those wire bows sewn into the liner too. I think but not sure mine has the leather piping colored to match the exterior car color. Being a bustle trunk beverly I have the gray outside and the blue wool tuck n roll interior. My car is nearly the same car as Randy Ema has. He like black walls and I like white wall tires. Bout the only difference in cars appearances too.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Tom_Parkinson's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
19 Oct 2017 22:09 #33711 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic: Re-assembling Cord 1509 A Westchester
Finally got the Bendpak lift erected. The Old Lady looks good on it.

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE
Attachments:

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
20 Oct 2017 03:46 #33712 by Jonathan Richards
Jonathan Richards replied the topic: Re-assembling Cord 1509 A Westchester and "This Old Cord 2014"
Tom , I have just stumbled upon your biography of the Cored you inherited from your dad in 1981. What a beautifully written story about the car and the people associated with her. You are a real trooper. Your dad would be pleased with and proud of your restoration efforts. {Note - to access Tom's story click on the link for "See PIX of 1509A in above post

• Terry Cockerell
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
20 Oct 2017 20:32 #33713 by Terry Cockerell
Terry Cockerell replied the topic: Re: Re-assembling Cord 1509 A Westchester
Hi Tom. I emailed you quite a while ago regarding possible cracks in your suspension arms. Mine had cracks in the seal weld at the yoke ends of the arms. I ground the cracks out and had the welds done professionally.
In your collection of pictures I noticed the wooden beams that run inside the roof were missing above the driver and front seat passenger. Have you been able to replace these sections ? They are needed for the strength of the roof plus the headlining is fixed to it. Where are you up to with your headlining ? I have a full size drawing of the wire bows that are stitched into the fabric.
Attached are some pictures showing the completed wooden framing.

T cockerell
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds