• Tom_Parkinson
  • Tom_Parkinson's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
30 Jul 2015 20:32 #29978 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic: Re: Re-assembling Cord 1509 A Westchester
Hi,

Well, there's some good news on the re-assembly front. We have a brand-spanking-new four post lift coming to the shop in the next two weeks. This will make all of the under-car work possible and will jump-start all the re-assembly work.

We looked around a lot concerning the lift and decided to buy it through Advance. The Advance tech guy was unwilling to sell it to us until he was able to inspect our facility and verify that we had sufficient room for it and a solid enough floor. I was impressed with that. He also inquired as to what vehicles we would be lifting with it and advised that we get the standard sized life--not extra wide or extra long: apparently those features are desirable for larger service vehicles than the pickup trucks that we run.

I was impressed that he sold DOWN to our needs rather than UP to maximizing his profit on the sale.

I wish I had a lift 40 years ago, but I'll be happy to have it now!

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
26 Sep 2015 04:12 #30314 by Tom_Parkinson
Hi,

I tried to post this and it just disappeared, so I am re-writing as best as I recall. Now I know to save my text before posting or previewing...

It has been heavy on my mind that the Lockheed front brake backing plates on 1509A just, well, don't look right. They are rotated VERY far off the desired position of the brake shoe anchor pin being at 6:00 and the wheel cylinder at 12:00.

"So, dummy," I thought. "You put the backing plates on the wrong sides--left for right and vice-versa. So I switched them. That does make them appear little less out of whack, but it also puts the large end of the wheel cylinder facing to the rear, instead of the front. My understanding of the Lockheed system is that the front shoe is the longer shoe and the big end of the wheel cylinder is supposed to face forward--the reverse of the Bendix system. Also, the change makes the brake line inlet face forward, not backward.

This arrangement doesn't make sense to me. So I switched them back.

The engine is not in 1509A right now, and I expect that 800 pounds of iron plus fenders, hood, and fluids will rotate the trailing arms considerably, but it will take a LOT of rotating to get the anchor pin and wheel cylinder around to 6:00 and 12:00. It just "looks wrong" to me, as well as to others to whom I have pointed it out.

Am I missing something obvious here? Are the trailing arms correct? Or is it all OK and will level out when the engine goes back in the car?

Here are a couple of pix, two from the last time the engine was installed.

Members, is my Geometry messed up? Any input on this?

--Tom

Editor-in-Chief, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

• Tom_Parkinson
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
01 Oct 2015 00:41 #30350 by Tom_Parkinson
Hi,

Members: No input on the odd angle of these 1936 Wagner-Lockheed brakes? If I have something wrong here, I'd like to correct it before I assemble the whole front end.

--Tom

More
01 Oct 2015 01:19 #30351 by jetjock
jetjock replied the topic: Re: Re-assembling Cord 1509 A Westchester
Tom, Tell me baby style how you are able to post pics. Thanks!

Rick Rowland
Danville, VA

1937 Cord 812 Custom Beverly
1931 Cadillac 355A Convertible Coupe

• Tom_Parkinson
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
01 Oct 2015 01:56 #30352 by Tom_Parkinson
Hi,

I posted the pix to photobucket.com. It's free. That site will generate and copy to your clipboard a URL for you when you click on your uploaded pic. Paste that URL into your message on the ACD forum. The pix will appear on your ACD page as long as you keep them on Photobucket.

This is the "Old Way" of posting pix on the ACD site. Apparently it's still the ONLY way that works.

BTW--do you have a 36/Wagner brakes Cord? Where on the face of a clock is your anchor pin located?

--Tom

More
01 Oct 2015 02:23 #30353 by jetjock
jetjock replied the topic: Re: Re-assembling Cord 1509 A Westchester
Hi Tom. Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try in the next day or so. No, my Cord is a 37 812 Custom Beverly with Bendix brakes. Best, Rick.

Rick Rowland
Danville, VA

1937 Cord 812 Custom Beverly
1931 Cadillac 355A Convertible Coupe

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds