Skip to main content

Headliner question

• e merancy
  • Registered
More
22 Feb 2004 14:46 #1342 by e merancy
Replied by e merancy on topic Headliner question
Jack my head liner was tacked to the front of the wood so you had to start tacking in from the back and work forward. I started by sewing the welting on to the wires leaving an excess of 3/4 to one inch of material to use for the tacks. I then stapled the material (two sections) to this excess leatherette and then sewed together all three pieces. I also made a temporary ply wood extension table for my machine to support the liner while sewing. It does get cumbersome as you progress,also heavy. Further suggest that you get a welt foot or possibly a zipper foot for your sewing machine so you can sew close to the wire.Lastly dont mix up the wires they are different.You should also carefully inspect the ends of the wires. I had two break off during installation which meant removing the liner and taking it apart to replace the wire in question.Hope this helps if you have any questions contact me at <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] Good luck Ed Merancy

e.merancy email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jack Richard
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2004 01:20 #1341 by Jack Richard
Replied by Jack Richard on topic Headliner question
Jim-
Thanks for your reply, it is interesting that installation was started at the front, opposite from most cars! Some close-up photos of the welting and how it is sewn to the panels would be most helpful, as I am going to try the sewing part myself, you can send to:
<a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]
Thanks,
Jack

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Visitor
20 Feb 2004 21:55 #1339 by
Replied by on topic Headliner question
Jack,

You're right the wires are sewn into the welt. The wires protruded out the ends of the welt (the sides of the car) and the wires had short sections at the ends, that when the wire is in place the ends are parrallel to the ground pointing to either side of the car. The ends stuck in small holes in the wood to hold the wires and headliner in place.

When you are installing the headliner start at the windshield and work your way back. The headliner was originally made such that the welting with the wire in it was nailed to the back side of the wooden strips in the roof.

I think I still have my original headliner in the basement. If you have questions on how it was originally made I can take some photos and email them to you.

There was also a series of articles done on upholstery for a custom beverly in the newsletter - 1973 NL 3 through 8. These might help some.

For me the best way to make the headliner is take it to an upholstery shop...but then I'm more of a mechanic then a seamstress (no comments on my legs from the rest of you guys).

Jim O'Brien

• Jack Richard
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2004 03:59 #1337 by Jack Richard
Headliner question was created by Jack Richard
I am trying to get things together to do the interior upholstery, and the headliner puzzles me. The old headliner is gone, but I have the original wires. Were the wires sewn into the vinyl welt which is visible between the panels? On most cars there was a listing obove the headliner the wire slipped into, but there isn't room . It looks like the wire must have been sewn into the headliner, and a short listing tacked to the wood cross pieces in the roof. Any suggestions on the best way to make the headliner?
Thanks,
Jack

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.