Skip to main content

CORD CAMSHAFT/VALVE TIMING

• leslie9958
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
14 Dec 2003 22:52 #1115 by leslie9958
CORD CAMSHAFT/VALVE TIMING was created by leslie9958
Now that Josh and I are thru with the Coolant/Radiator/Air problem or at least as far as we can go I wish to get back to the camshaft-timing problem. Does anyone have the timing and the lift of this item? This is usually indicative of the nature of the Beast as this controls the valve opening and the general horsepower of the engine. It is usually written, back in the time that this car was built, as: two numbers followed by a dash followed by another number followed by a similar series of numbers and dashes. Numerically it looks like this; 10-50-50-10 but the numbers could be written any number of ways.
The above number means 10+180+50=240 degrees of intake duration and 50+180+10=240 degrees of exhaust timing with 20 degrees of overlap (10+10). Also, sometimes, there is a diagram that has two concentric imperfect circles inside one another, usually with a group of letters, numbers, arrows and figures such as:
A.B.D.C. =AFTER BOTTOM DEAD CENTER
A. C-= ADMISSION VALVE CLOSED
A.O. = ADMISSION VALVE OPEN
E.C. = EXHAUST VALVE CLOSED
E.O. = EXHAUST VALVE CLOSED
UPPER DEAD CENTER
T.D.C. TOP DEAD CENTER
L.D.C. LOWER DEAD CENTER
LOWER DEAD CENTER
I.O. INTAKE OPENS
I.C. INTAKE CLOSES
E.O. EXHAUST OPENS
E.C. EXHAUST CLOSES
The above is from Audels book, which is usually not very good but in some cases is the only source we have. Mine is very good on this explanation of valve/camshaft timing details. Yours M.L. Anderson
:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.