Skip to main content

Cord battery hanger

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2003 15:29 #999 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Battery Covers

Al Hatch wrote: Repro fiberglass covers are made and look okay but the original steel cover is more diserable.

We have been having new steel battery covers stamped for years.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
17 Nov 2003 19:24 #996 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic RE: Cord Battery Hanger
Jack-

G5969 and 5970 are rivited or spot welded to the upper part of the battery box and connect to each other with a bolt. No one has ever identified the stone deflector. It could be a metal panel or a piece of sheet rubber. The K10976 block was a piece of wood 2X6 used as a spacer. The original U.S.L.P. (United States Light & Power at Niagra Falls) battery was like a group 2 size but a little longer. The problem then as now is how low it hangs down. If you use the Optima jell cell battery all you need to do is make a clamp to support it in the original box. It works so much better in the Cord than any of the present oversized lead acid batteries. Try one!

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Al Hatch
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
16 Nov 2003 14:58 #986 by Al Hatch
Replied by Al Hatch on topic Cord battery hanger
Bill,

The answer to your question is 'Yes'. The battery cover used on all Cord body styles are the same. Good to hear from you. Keep in touch.

Al

• Bill Hummel
  • Registered
More
15 Nov 2003 06:58 #979 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Battery Cover
Hi Al,

What about Cabriolets? Do they have the same type of battery cover?

• Jack Richard
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Nov 2003 05:27 #978 by Jack Richard
Replied by Jack Richard on topic Cord battery hanger
Hi Al-
Thanks for your reply - I do have the original battery cover and hardware, I was just curious what the parts listed in the original Auburn parts list were for the hanger assembly - I have found the list to be of great help in deciding if something is missing or correct, especially attaching hardware. I am a nut on authenticity and love to research what the original condition of these great cars was.
Thanks,
Jack

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Al Hatch
  • Registered
More
14 Nov 2003 19:31 #977 by Al Hatch
Replied by Al Hatch on topic Cord battery hanger
Jack,

The battery box (hanger) is fully assemble piece that drops into place in from the top of the front seat platform. I beleive there are four bolts that hold it into place. The spacer block is a piece of wood. The real hard part to find is the original all steel cover that covers the battery. It has four 1/4-20 screws that hold it into place. The cover itself bolts to the seat platform and prevents battery fumes from entering in the interior of the car and prevents corrision damage to the underside of the seat cushion. Repro fiberglass covers are made and look okay but the original steel cover is more diserable.

CORDially,

Al Hatch

• Jack Richard
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Nov 2003 17:34 #976 by Jack Richard
Cord battery hanger was created by Jack Richard
Hello All-

I am restoring the battery hanger ("box") for my 36 Westchester, and am curious if I have it all. The basic structrure is welded toghether, but the parts list shows parts in addition to the hanger. They are:

G5970 Clamp, front--Battery
G5969 Clamp, side--Battery
G5968 Stone deflector--Battery

Are these just components of the welded assembly, of am I missing some lost parts? Also, there is part K10976 Block--Battery spacer, which I do not have - is this just a piece of wood to make the battery fit better in the hanger?

Thanks for any help,
CORDially,
Jack Richard

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.