Skip to main content

Startix: by-passing the auto- restart.

• Aris Loumidis
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
31 Oct 2003 22:25 #948 by Aris Loumidis
Replied by Aris Loumidis on topic Startix: by-passing the auto- restart.
Hi Stan! Knowledge goes hand in hand with experience and we are all fortunate to have you and others like you, willing to help us out ?... Thanks also to the active members that got this forum going ??..?? Long distance calls are expensive and inconvenient, overseas ones are certainly both, I know !!!..... Anyway, once more you were so right! It seems when I first worked on the generator some years back, I did not put the brushes in right ?. .. this time a had it rebuilt by a local old-timer electrician and now the whole electrical system ?including the Startix- is working just fine ! Thanks !!!!!!!
Aris

Aris Loumidis
Athens, Greece
ACD Life Member

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2003 16:17 #930 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Re: Startix: by-passing the auto- restart.
How about just cleaning the generator armature and brushes up and see if that helps with the idle output? The modification to eleminate the hold out coil really doesn't work unless you use a push button or key start switch.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Aris Loumidis
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2003 14:43 #925 by Aris Loumidis
Ok, here is what I got. On Ed?s suggestio, to see if the car can start or run in the left ignition position, the answer is no, at least the way mine is wired.
As to flashing the generator, I was shown how it'ss done inside the regulator, by manually making contact 2-3 times on the cut-out relay; it's the one with the thick-wired coil, in the rear position. Simple enough I guess.
I'm also sending both the generator and regulator to a workshop, to do a proper job on adjusting the springs of the regulator that seemed not right.
I hope this works! But i wont know for sure till the next time I start the car after a few months......

Aris Loumidis
Athens, Greece
ACD Life Member

• Aris Loumidis
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2003 17:09 #917 by Aris Loumidis
Thanks for your input guys !
The Startix is working fine Brad, I also have the complete troubleshooting instructions for it; I only get this problem when the generator is not charging after sitting for a long time, something ?normal? for our Startix. The generator eventually will ?kick-in? but only when I rev-up the engine, something I don?t want to do immediately when starting the car after a long time.

I will try out Ed?s suggestion from the manual, to see if the car can start in the left ignition position, otherwise I will try to jump from right to left position, to see if it can be done, without shutting off the engine.
I have an old-timer electrician coming over to look into the regulator, to hopefully pinpoint which wire in there is the one needing the flash.
I?ll be posting my findings, Thanks !

Aris Loumidis
Athens, Greece
ACD Life Member

• e merancy
  • Registered
More
18 Oct 2003 13:31 #914 by e merancy
Replied by e merancy on topic Startix: by-passing the auto- restart.
aris when checking my reply noticed you had a question on "stimulating"the generator . it is common for a generator to lose its residual magnetism on the field poles,after periods of long inactivity. sometimes this will return by just running the engine. the generator will not start to charge, unless or until, there is a residual charge available. to renew the residual magnetism the fields must be flashed. this is accomplished by energizing the fields by momentarily connecting the battery hot side to the field terminal the current flow will restore magnetism to the field poles. good luck ed .

e.merancy email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• e merancy
  • Registered
More
18 Oct 2003 13:09 #913 by e merancy
Replied by e merancy on topic startix
aris , the following is from the 810/812 owners manual. "if generator fails to charge while car is driven,or if faulty generator connection develops,startix will give warning by a clicking sound due to meshing contact of drive pinion gear against flywheel gear.while this will do no harm it can be avoided by turning the switch (ignition switch) as far to left as it will go,which places it in the ignition position,cutting out startix.have necessary generator repairs made as quickly as possible". if you do not have an owners manual an excellant reprint is available from faxon auto literature 3901 carter ave. riverside,ca.92501 fax 909 -786 -4166 0r 1-800-458-2734 price was 20.00usd plus s&h charges.hope this helps ed.merancy

e.merancy email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Brad Waken
  • Registered
More
17 Oct 2003 18:52 #909 by Brad Waken
Replied by Brad Waken on topic Startix: by-passing the auto- restart.
We had to rework our Startix this fall also. Stan sent me service notes that mentions steady cranking that might not be a generator problem. Service notes as follows:
Problem: Ignition key turned on, starting motor continues to spin after engine starts.
Solution: Remove wire connected to Startix "Gen" terminal, turn ignition on. Loosen lock nut on the starting adjustment screw "J" (located above the manual override button) and increase air gap by turning screw SLOWLY anti-clockwise until a click us heard indicating opening of contacts "C". From this point, turn adjusting screw a further 1/8th turn in counter-clock direction. Tighten lock nut and reconnect wire. If Startix has been working properly and adjustment not previously changed, over-run is probably caused by low battery, or a condition in the starting motor causing excessive current draw when free spinning. Normally this should not be in excess of 70 amps. Trace and correct.
NOTE: If continued or steady cranking without over-run cannot be obtained, examine Startix ground connections. When engine is rubber mounted, pay particular attention to connection between engine and car frame

• Aris Loumidis
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Oct 2003 06:58 #903 by Aris Loumidis
Thanks for the reply, Balinwire!

The belt is ok; On 'stimulating' the generator I dont know how to do it. Can you help?

Aris Loumidis
Athens, Greece
ACD Life Member

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
17 Oct 2003 01:30 #901 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic cut off
Could it be a slipping generator drive belt or the third brush generator needing a brush voltage+ advance?

• Aris Loumidis
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Oct 2003 01:20 #900 by Aris Loumidis
Startix: by-passing the auto- restart. was created by Aris Loumidis
The Startix on my 36 810 is rebuilt and working just fine, but whenever I start the car after a very long time, the Generator takes awhile to get going. Until this happens, the Startix keeps cutting-in while the engine is running.

Besides grinding the Bendix gear on the flywheel and on my nerves, I'm afraid the engine might over-run my starter with dire results.

I have an old article from the Newsletter Tech Talk by member Don Beaty on rewiring the Startix, to bypass and thus cancell the automatic restarting system, leaving only the main solenoid in operational condition.

This sound great to me, however it seems to me that this could only work on cars with an Off, On, and Start position Ignition Switch- not the case for our 36 810?s..

Has anyone tried this out?

Aris Loumidis
Athens, Greece
ACD Life Member