engine temperature reductions

• balinwire
  • balinwire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
09 Nov 2003 18:48 #963 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: cooling ports
Yes, I am going to install the heads without change.

How much would 147$ engine be in today?s dollars? Also the percentage of the 3,000+ original price tag? I would figure the engine would be 1/3 of the original cost of the car.

I was looking at the 1935 Fahlman patent drawings and it appears that the inlet holes for the FA were round.

The FB had the shoulder on the cam for the centrifugal blower in anticipation of the 1937 model supercharger.

Could they have left the inlet holes and head gasket fluid openings oblong in anticipation of the blower to handle the increased heat load?

Did Ab Jenkins open these for his record runs? Twenty-four hours at full loads. Tremendous cooling capacity would have been needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
10 Nov 2003 19:12 #965 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Auburn/Cord Parts replied the topic: Re: cooling ports
The Fahlman patent drawings are for the 1932-34 Ford Flathead V8 engines. Patent applications often take years to be granted. The 3 bolt flanged area was for Fords small circulating pump that aided their thermosyphon cooling system. If you count bolt holes, you find 21 which is what Ford had, Cord has 24. Permold was a vendor alright but Bohnalite was the foundry that cast the bulk of Cord production heads for Lycoming. The main reason for aluminum heads being used was to counteract the octane ping that high compression (6:1) was causing. The aluminum masked this sound, leaded fuel was just becoming common but higher priced when Cords were new!

Stan

balinwire wrote: Yes, I am going to install the heads without change.

How much would 147$ engine be in today?s dollars? Also the percentage of the 3,000+ original price tag? I would figure the engine would be 1/3 of the original cost of the car.

I was looking at the 1935 Fahlman patent drawings and it appears that the inlet holes for the FA were round.

The FB had the shoulder on the cam for the centrifugal blower in anticipation of the 1937 model supercharger.

Could they have left the inlet holes and head gasket fluid openings oblong in anticipation of the blower to handle the increased heat load?

Did Ab Jenkins open these for his record runs? Twenty-four hours at full loads. Tremendous cooling capacity would have been needed.

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
10 Nov 2003 19:22 #967 by PushnFords
PushnFords replied the topic: Re: cooling ports

balinwire wrote: Yes, I am going to install the heads without change.

Actually, he probably didn't have to worry about the cooling system. Many racers even remove their engine fans because they are useless at high speed and can actually block air flow - not to mention rob horsepower. At the speeds he was going there should have been plenty of airflow going through the radiator to cool the car. I drove a car with a disabled cooling fan for several days once - the only times I had trouble was when I dropped below 40-50 mph.

Derek

• Russell Colman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Nov 2003 02:47 #969 by Russell Colman
Russell Colman replied the topic:
I'm obviously either very brave or very foolish.

I created matching holes in the head when I had my FB motor out last year. I did this for two reasons. One was to improve the cooling water flow around (what I think) are hottest parts of the head. The second was that these previously dead-flow areas were obviously sites for head corrosion, based on what I saw when I removed the heads. I figured having water flow through these holes would reduce the tendency to corrode the aluminium.

Since doing this mod the car (37 Std Cord Phaeton) has never run above 195 deg F, even on hot Australian summer days.

I should note that at the time I reworked the motor I also had the radiator core cleaned out. No doubt this also contributes to having a 'cool' motor.

I'm not recommending people do this head mod, just noting that I did it without any grief resulting (so far!).

Cheers

Russell

More
12 Nov 2003 22:23 #975 by Ric Simpson
Ric Simpson replied the topic: Cord cooling
Hi! I have been driving a Cord fairly regularly, since 1947. Overheating usually reared its ugly head on hot days with a vapour lock. The addition of an autopulse fuel pump pretty well made that history. The engine did run hot!
When I started driving my second Cord sedan in 1960, I learned that cleaning out the block of about a gallon can of sand through the open sides (frozen out) made the car run much cooler! I remember attending Auburn in 196? and announcing, "I have solved the overheating problem! " I was greeted with remarks like, "What overheating problem?" "My Cord doesn't overheat!".
In 1983 I installed my rebuilt S/C engine. I have driven it for the last twenty years and the car runs about 180-190 on hot days.
I have had on the car since the '60s the gadget designed by Al Goodman, that runs the water pump 25% faster, uses a modern thin belt, that allows one to change a fan belt on a S/C car in under 15 minutes!
On two occasions I had a belt break (wear out?) . The first time it was in my original sedan (1958). I drove the car home = 100 miles without a running fan/pump. I was nervous and prepared to stop, but the car ran at about 200 all the way home. The second time I was on my way to Auburn in the S/C phaeton, and the belt let go on the Buffalo side of Cleveland. I continued on to Auburn (200 mi) and for the delight of many bought a new belt at the NAPA store, and demonstrated the installation in under 15 minutes.
I think the interesting part is that the Cord will run thermo-syphon if the rad is cleaned out. (I had it rodded out in 1961!)
Just to brag a little, I believe I have driven a Cord about 350,000 miles in my time so far. The phaeton is resting a bit more since I dropped down to a lesser car. (I now have 4 Roll-Royces) . Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

• Dave Henderson
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
17 Nov 2003 03:09 #992 by Dave Henderson
Dave Henderson replied the topic:
Guess I have just been lucky, not having been plagued with overheating problems, and it's a wonder. My Cord was my only means of transportation (when it wasn't down for repairs, that is) in the early '50's. The engine was removed for overhaul in '52. The bare block was steam cleaned and I fished out the scale in it as best I could. The water distribution tubes were falling apart so the pieces were pulled out. I was running out of time as school was about to start, so I put it back together without the tubes. The engine also had no thermostats. I drove over 5000 miles at various speeds and in all temps without a heating problem! Now, that was then.... and now, after a 3 1/2 decade "rest" it is running again, although haven't driven it a lot. During the Festival parade last year it did overheat, but that was because I had put screens in the upper hoses to catch the inevitable chunks of crud in the block and prevent them from clogging the radiator. (That was its very first run since the '60's, the car had been stored with the cooling drained all the years). Since cleaning the debris off the screens it is its old self again (I hope!) and not overheating. Still no tubes or thermostats. What's the point of all this? I dunno. Dave

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds