Skip to main content

'36 810 Phaeton, Driveline

• samsonized
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2003 22:05 #760 by samsonized
Replied by samsonized on topic motor and trans
i may be able to help you with all the parts necessary to change back to front wheel drive give me a call at 219-464-0879 and we can talk mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• C Walker
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
02 Aug 2003 00:49 #582 by C Walker
Replied by C Walker on topic Thanks for the info
Gentlemen:
Thanks for the info. I still want to take it back to original but Bill you may be right. I will probably get it running as is and continue to look for the original parts. I'm about 90% finished with the restoration of my 16 year old's MG so I guess the Cord is next.

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
01 Aug 2003 02:50 #580 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Dont worry be happy
75% of something is better than 100% of nothing

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
31 Jul 2003 16:58 #576 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Re: '36 810 Phaeton, Driveline

C Walker wrote: I have obtained a '36 Phaeton from my dad to restore. The car is in good to excellent condition except for one "minor little" problem. At some point in its history it was converted to a Ford flathead V-8 and rear wheel drive. I'd like to take it back to original but have no idea where to start looking for an orginal engine and trans. If someone could aim me in the right direction it would help a great deal.

An ad in the ACD Newsletter would be a good starting point. Watch out for anything that sounds too good to be true. Glad to hear you want to restore the V8 and FWD. We are just finishing doing the same job.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
31 Jul 2003 02:47 #571 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Rear-drive Cord
Your car sounds like mine. I have a Cabriolet with an Olds 455 and a Turbohydromatic 400 transmission.

Club members seem to be split 60/40 whether to convert it back or not. Most say take it back to original while a very large percentage say have fun with it and drive it!

Some of the historians in the club have told me that there were quite a few Cords converted in the 60's and 70's. There were articles in Popular Mechanics, (I think) that gave detailed instructions how to do this. Car owners were making the conversions in an effort to save their cars! No one would undertake a project like that unless they loved their Cord and there was no other way to save it.

One of the most respected Club members told me NOT to take it back because the value will never be the same as an unaltered car. There is a very good chance that you will never get your money back out of it.

It will cost a lot of $$$ to try to restore your car!! I know, I have been doing a lot of research on this.

I am working on making my car perfect in every way except under the hood. I will cross that bridge when there is nothing else to improve....

Hopefully you will be in Auburn over Labor Day. We can start our little Lonely Hearts Club and comiserate. (Actually, I am having a blast with mine. I have had it up to 100mph and it drives in a straight line with no shimmy).

=======================================
POST ACD 2003 FESTIVAL UPDATE

Most members that I talked with this year said DON'T switch it back. Sounds like they're getting more pragmatic. Just drive it and enjoy it. Best advice was from Randy Ema, who said if you want a complete car, just go out and buy one. It's a lot less expensive that way!

You can see my car's transformation at:

www.cordhaven.com

• C Walker
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Jul 2003 16:08 #569 by C Walker
'36 810 Phaeton, Driveline was created by C Walker
I have obtained a '36 Phaeton from my dad to restore. The car is in good to excellent condition except for one "minor little" problem. At some point in its history it was converted to a Ford flathead V-8 and rear wheel drive. I'd like to take it back to original but have no idea where to start looking for an orginal engine and trans. If someone could aim me in the right direction it would help a great deal.