Starting Problems

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
More
22 Dec 2003 15:13 #1142 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic: Optima
Hi Aris.

The Optima 6 volt battery is considerably smaller than a "normal" 6-volt. So fit should be no problem. (As a matter of fact, I know of one owner of a hard-to-start Cord who put [i:f78hdi5d]two[/i:f78hdi5d] Optimas in the battery box, wiring them in parallel to double the cranking amps! Don't know if his battery box was stock, though.)

I think there was an article in the ACD Newsletter some years ago (by Rick Zeiger, I believe) about putting an Optima [i:f78hdi5d]inside[/i:f78hdi5d] a standard battery box (after the guts were removed, of course) so it would look correct through the Cord battery box.

I don't do any of the above. Just one Optima, no camouflage.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2003 03:27 #1147 by Pat Leahy
Pat Leahy replied the topic: Re: Optima
I have two Optima batteries in my CORD side by side in a standard battery box. It;s a perfect fit. I keep one a backup. One battery will crank a Cord for over 10 minute in warm weather. I think Optima make only one 6 volt battery (red top).

More
02 Jan 2004 04:13 #1175 by Hal Klassen
Hal Klassen replied the topic: Starting Problems
Hi, I am also a new member. Have owned my Cord [36 Westchester] for over 30 yrs. About 25 yrs ago I put in an 8 volt battery, set the regulator, and it spins over and starts every time [so far]. I have had no problems with anything electrical.
Hal klassen

• Josh Malks
More
02 Jan 2004 14:45 #1176 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic: 8 volt batteries
8-volt batteries certainly work --- many owners of hard-to-start old cars use them --- but they introduce a different problem. Without complex resistors and/or other voltage-dropping devices there are problems with lights, gauges, radio, etc.

I would never suggest to an 8-volt user that they change something that's working for them. But for those 6-volt users who suffer from slow starts, some of the above suggestions might give the same result with less complexity.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• balinwire
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
03 Jan 2004 02:24 #1178 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: Deluxe 6volt systems
The idea of changing from the factory voltage specifications should be done at ones own risk. As low as possible as it will increase starter and coil life.

The problem of lifting the seat cushion and getting battery acid all over the broadcloth interior is daunting. If there is no need to deal with the battery it is an ok place to hide the battery. Being low in the chassis is also good for balance.

I once had a regular 6volt battery with maybe 30 cranking amps that worked well in the Cord. The battery housing below the seat was cut out and enlarged by someone in the past, I guess they had some slow starts also.

They probably thought they would like to have a bigger capacity battery for reserve power. There must have been a larger battery in the space, ~unless it was used to smuggle shine in the prohibition days~ :rolleyes:so I marched over to the tractor supply and got a huge thing, 1ft x 6in. battery. It fit right in. It also had a whole lot more reserve capacity. As soon as it was in I expected the Lycoming to really spin over very quickly.

All the cables and grounds were fair to good condition and it turned over at exactly the same speed. The big six-volt just never goes flat, it is really very dependable. I fill it with well water. It is just great except when the seat is at the rearward position the adjuster cable below the cushion touches the positive terminal, luckily it is hitting the positive terminal is it is a + ground car!

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds