Skip to main content

Metal work needed to restore a Trunk Latch

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
25 May 2003 23:59 #314 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic latch
If you have a locking latch <clasp>, and those two left clasps, you are home free. The light stainless cover can be bumped and polished. The structural backing could be heated to correct. Much easer than having to start from scrach. The clasps should be reproduced as should door handles and windshields. A fellow member I saw at the reunion makes the center hinge member out of solid stainless. Tremendously difficult but done with incredible skill. If there are none you have to carve them out of soild billet. I did not have the correct rubber grommets but some cut from 1/32"cork paper.This will keep them from metel to metel contact and shim the bolts from bottoming out. At least I think bolts, mine had bolts, maybe they had flat roundhead screws. appx 1 in long. no one would look under the hood with a flashlight for a detail like that. Just get them to hold on tight so they do not fall off on the highway!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
25 May 2003 05:59 #311 by Bill Hummel
Metal work needed to restore a Trunk Latch was created by Bill Hummel
Who can recommend someone to restore a Cord Trunk Latch. I have some beat up parts that can probably be straightened by a skilled jeweler or metalsmith.

I have a locking trunk latch that is in very good conidtion that I got from George Ehresman.

But I need the left latch. I think that what I have can be repaired unless someone already has a left that I can buy.

Also, is the bottom part of both latches supposed to be identical? I mean, do they both have large holes in them where a lock cylinder would go?

Both of mine are the same.

More pictures here: www.cordhaven.com/images/latches/default.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.