Skip to main content

What Wattage are Cord Headlight bulbs?

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
07 Sep 2005 15:21 #3646 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic What Wattage are Cord Headlight bulbs?
Member Oscar Roberts has the so-called GenerNator on his car. You might ask him about it.

I've used the Australian halogens (actually made by Sylvania) for a year or so. The only time I ever actually felt the lens for heat was after a ten-minute period. No breakage yet.

Comparison would be a good future article. I'm hoping someone will write it!

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TatraMan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
07 Sep 2005 14:58 #3645 by TatraMan
Replied by TatraMan on topic What Wattage are Cord Headlight bulbs?
Hello Josh,

Thanks for the comments. I think this is a very fascinating subject. As I love to drive my cars, it is an appealing idea that with a few inconspicuous alterations I can keep my car looking stock while improving its usability. I absolutely love the idea of having an alternator with a higher amperage built inside an original Autolite Cord generator casing - which, although it is very expensive still maintains the appearance of originality. I'm thinking about doing this to all of my cars.

I'm assuming that when you say you've "had them on for 10 minutes", this means you have bought some Halogens from this Australian company. What wattage did you buy for your car? Any plans to do a side by side comparison between the Halogen and an original type bulb? I think this would be a great article for the club newsletter.

Many Thanks,
Hampton

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
07 Sep 2005 14:20 #3644 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic What Wattage are Cord Headlight bulbs?
A few comments, if I may. . .

1. The Australian halogen bulbs are (properly) labelled in watts. The bulbs used during the era of our Cords were measured in candlepower. There is no uniform conversion method. The halogen bulbs appear brighter, but I have done no comparison studies. Also, the halogen bulbs put out more heat, and Cord lenses are not Pyrex. I've had them on for ten minutes with no increase in heat detectable with a bare palm, so this may not be an issue. (Incidentally, if you order these be sure to specify the "Chrysler base" which is equivalent to a 2331 bulb. 2330 bulbs, standard on Fords and Harleys, won't work. The terminals are 90 degrees off.)

2. The above bulbs appear to have their filaments correctly located; that is to say, at the locus of the parabolic lens, just like the originals. Don't bother with the conversion kits made for Model A reflectors. Their filaments are not exactly at the right position. You'll get a lot of brightness, but scattered light (and less vision) where you need it.

3. I don't know where the figure of 28 and 32 watts comes from for original headlight bulbs. Has someone measured the amperage draw of the various original-type headlight filaments? That would be good to know. As noted above, the originals were measured in candlepower (cp). . . 32/32 for the stock bulb, 50/32 for a later brighter high beam.

4. Avoid 8 volt batteries. They are a questionable solution to a questionable problem. Every bulb in your car will have its life reduced by 50% or more. (Yes I know that most bulbs were rated 6-8 volts. That means 6 volts for long life at minimal output, and 8 volts for maximum light output with very short life.) Radio tubes and circuitry are also at risk. Yes, the starter may turn faster on 8 volts, but 6 volts are quite capable of turning it fast enough. Make cables out of stock no smaller than 2/0 welding cable, run a similar ground cable from battery to starter mounting bolt, and have all terminals crimped on with a giant crimper made for this purpose. (Soldering, staking, or clamp-on terminals will not do it.) An Optima battery will give you all the CCA you need.

5. You CAN drive your Cord safely at night. The original lights can produce safe road lighting IF: reflectors are bright silver or vacuum-deposited aluminum (NOT chrome), lenses are clean, bulbs are 50/32 or correct halogen, and a headlight relay is used fed by a #10 wire directly from the battery. That's a lot of ifs.

6. Sealed beams can provide very good lighting, but they require a headlight relay and maybe more amperage than you can get from a stock Cord generator.

7. No matter how bright, you won't light the road properly unless [i:1esy01a3]both headlights are correctly aligned[/i:1esy01a3]. I rarely encounter Cord headlights that are, including my own much of the time. Solving the 3-dimensional puzzle that is the Cord headlight assembly is tough enough. Getting the lamps to open to the correct height and to point straight forward adds several more levels of complexity. But it can be done. Modern cars, because of their variety of headlight shapes, are often aligned with a machine that stands in front of the car, just like they did it in the '30s! Try to find a shop that is patient enough to let you do the lamp alignment right there. Or, if you have the space, make the alignment chart that is laid out in Service Bulletin #21 and do it at leisure.

8. The 810's third brush generator cannot keep up with lighting needs. The 812s shunt type unit can do so just barely. Because I am often on the road, and sometimes stay out late at the ball, I have used a a 6-volt negative ground alternator for 13 years very happily. It produces 50 amps at cruising speed, 30 amps (up against the ammeter pin) at low engine speeds. Looks strange, but works great. The new alternators that look like generators sound OK, but they cost five times as much!

Bottom line: Cords (and other vehicles of the 30s) CAN start and light the road just fine on six volts. But you need to be meticulous, and take advantage of some modern technology.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• TatraMan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 Sep 2005 02:57 #3627 by TatraMan
Replied by TatraMan on topic What Wattage are Cord Headlight bulbs?
I have been doing some research on bulbs. I'm thinking sealed beams might be a problem unless I get a bigger generator.

I have just received an email from a company in Australia that manufactures halogen bulbs to work with vintage automobile sockets. The company is www.classicandvintagebulbs.com . He states he has halogen bulbs that work with the original Cord reflectors/lens set up in 25/25w, 35/35w, and 50/35w. He states that the 25/25w bulb has the identical current pull to the original 32 candle power Cord bulbs, yet puts out more light. So, these could be used for anyone - like John - who feels that the lighting is inadequate for any kind of night driving.

I would say these Halogen bulbs would be an absolute necessity, as you never know when you have to drive at night.

As far as sealed beams, I have been able to find 6V 60/55w halogen bulbs with 7" Hella glass that is made to replace sealed beams, but I think this may use up too much amperage. Does anyone know of a generator/regulator that fits the Cord and is rated higher than 24 Amps?

• John Trittschuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 Sep 2005 01:09 #3626 by John Trittschuh
Replied by John Trittschuh on topic Headlight bulbs
I don't care what the wattage, you shouldn't drive these cars at night. My wife and I got stuck coming home in our Cord Sportsman one evening last summer and the cars behind us silhouetted us with their lights. I could not see in front of me, only to the sides by the lights behind me.

My wife swears that she will only ride with me if she has two really powerful flashlights in hand!

I don't know what sealed beam lights would do. Should be much better.

• Maurice Randall
  • Registered
More
01 Sep 2005 01:00 #3625 by Maurice Randall
Replied by Maurice Randall on topic What Wattage are Cord Headlight bulbs?
I've also found that an 8V battery also helps. The higher voltage actually increases the wattage and the brightness.

Volts x Amps = Watts

6.5 volts x 4.66 amps = 30.3 watts

8.8 volts x 4.66 amps = 41.0 watts

The generator actually produces about 9.0 volts while cruising with an 8V battery installed. (Also hotter spark and faster cranking for easier starting)

-Maurice

== 2006 will be the "50th" AUBURN Reunion ==

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
01 Sep 2005 00:11 #3624 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic head light bulbs
My understanding is that you should use 28-50 watt bulbs for good vision on high beam with the original setup. I believe that it was Josh who told me he used those bulbs.

Tom Georgeson

• Maurice Randall
  • Registered
More
31 Aug 2005 17:52 #3622 by Maurice Randall
Replied by Maurice Randall on topic What Wattage are Cord Headlight bulbs?
The original style bulbs will be 28-32 watts in each filament.

-Maurice

== 2006 will be the "50th" AUBURN Reunion ==

• TatraMan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
31 Aug 2005 17:19 #3621 by TatraMan
What Wattage are Cord Headlight bulbs? was created by TatraMan
Could someone please tell me what the maximum wattage allowed/expected for the headlights? I have not been able to find bulb specifications in any of the Cord literature I have. I do not want to overload my generator.

Thanks,
Hampton