Skip to main content

Controlling a GM Turbo Hydromatic with a Cord Shifter

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Jul 2005 20:28 #3375 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic Controlling a GM Turbo Hydromatic with a Cord Shifter
BILL

THE FULL SIZE CORD REPLICAS BUILT BY SOUTHEASTERN HAD THE SAME DRIVE TRAIN YOU ARE RUNNING AND ONE I LOOKED AT HAD A CORD LIKE SHIFTER, IT WAS JUST SEQUENTIAL LIKE THE AUTOMATIC PATTERN. IT USED AN ELECTRIC SERVO TO SHIFT THE TRANNY. PERHAPS IF YOU COULD FIND ONE OF THESE SERVOS, YOU COULD ADAPT IT TO THE ELECTRIC IMPULSES GENERATED BY THE CORD SHIFT MECHANISM. VERY CAREFULLY! IT WOULD BE MY FEELING THAT USING REVESE AS PARK WOULD BE BEST SO AS TO MINIMIZE ANY CHANCE OF SHIFTING INTO PARK WHILE MOVING, BUT OBVIOUSLY THIS CREATES A PERPLEXING SITUATION FOR ANY DRIVER UNFAMILIAR WITH THE CAR. GOOD LUCK.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
16 Jul 2005 16:40 #3373 by Bill Hummel
Until I put the original engine and transmission back into my 810 Cabriolet, I am going to have to make do with what I have.

OLDS 455 W-88 ENGINE
GM TURBO HYDROMATIC 400 TRANSMISSION

I now have a Cord Steering column and fully re-wired shifter. I want to make the Cord shifter control the Turbo Hydromatic transmission.

Do any of you know of any after-market electronic interfaces? Someone said MOON makes one, but I have yet to locate it. Any ideas out there?

I don't want to reinvent the wheel. If some company has an electronic interface, then it should not be all that hard to connect a Cord shifter to it.

By the way, for an excellent FULL-COLOR schematic of a 810/812 Shift and cable assembly visit Josh Malk's website:

www.automaven.com

Go to TECHNICAL drawings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.