Transmission oil pump

• dougklink
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
17 Jul 2005 04:00 #3377 by dougklink
Replied by dougklink on topic Thanks
Thanks Josh that makes perfect sense. I was focusing on driving the pump, not saving the bearings by not rotating the shaft!

Doug Klink
Estes Park, Colorado

812 S/C Phaeton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
16 Jul 2005 14:23 #3370 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Transmission oil pump
The pump is driven by the output shaft, and turns only when the car is running. The upper (input) shaft is the one on which the gear bushings turn, and it is they that need pressure lube. Holding the clutch pedal down stops the upper shaft from turning.

Incidentally, once the car has been rolling (not just engine running) for a bit, the bushings are not as fragile as they are made out to be. Letting the car idle for a minute at a time certainly won't hurt it. Most of us have developed the habit of depressing the clutch pedal at stoplights, just to be safe. Essentially, we're trading wear on the clutch throwout bearing and pilot bearing --- which turn only when the clutch pedal is depessed ---for wear on the transmission bushings.

Don't forget that the prototype Cord went nearly round-trip --- from Auburn to LA and back --- before the tranny seized. And it had no pump at all!

Still, much better safe than sorry.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• dougklink
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
16 Jul 2005 04:46 #3367 by dougklink
Transmission oil pump was created by dougklink
In reviewing some of the older posts here, I came upon one that recommended that the car never be left running in neutral with the clutch out as the tranny oil pump wouldn't be running and tranny lubrication would suffer. It goes so far as to suggest that a stick be made to hold the clutch down at stoplights if you can't do it yourself.

It seems to me, not having been inside the tranny of my Cord yet, that the opposite would be true. Holding the clutch down would result in no movement of the input shaft hence no lube pump operation. Letting the clutch out in neutral would be preferred.

Which is correct?

Doug Klink
Estes Park, Colorado

812 S/C Phaeton