Skip to main content

Cord Steering Wheel

More
23 Jul 2005 15:31 #3393 by owr3
Replied by owr3 on topic Steering Wheel Restoration
Bill,
Jack Richard's process for steering wheel restoration is correct. POR-15 has an epoxy putty which I have used sucessfully and would recommend. The POR-15 offers a steering wheel restoration kit for about $70. A brief article can be found at www.rodandcustommagazine.com/howto/32158/ which might be of interest. Additionally Jack Turpin, who lives in my town, wrote a book on this subject. I say book although its only 20 pages. He goes in great detail w/pics of the process.
Good luck on your project,
oscar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
16 Jul 2005 23:54 #3376 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Steering wheel
Hi, Fellas: I have an 812 steering wheel that is off the car and in need of
refurbishing. I would be happy to lend it out as a sample. Let me know!

Mark

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
16 Jul 2005 16:27 #3372 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Exploded Diagram
Is there an exploded diagram of how the steering wheel, horn button, etc is all put together?

I know it is child's play for those of you who have taken one apart a hundred times, but I am not sure that I have all of the required pieces, springs, etc.

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
16 Jul 2005 14:32 #3371 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Cord Steering Wheel
The ONLY way to get a wheel that will never crack again is to have a new one cast. (Also, only a plastic wheel looks like a plastic wheel :-) And remember, your steering wheel is in your field of vision every minute you drive your car!

I have talked with Dennis at Quality Restorations. Their wheels are legend among the Chevy, Cadillac and Ford folks. He makes a mold from a good original, then casts new wheels in urethane. The plastic material is clear, but he will tint it with paint you supply so it will exactly match your Cord. The Cord wheel looks simple, but is complicated by the fact that the center and part of the spokes are metal, and the plastic spokes butt up against them. I will be sending him soon a good 810 wheel to examine. I also need an 810 wheel on which all or part of the plastic has broken off the rim and spokes, so he can see the size of the steel frame. Anybody got one to lend? He estimates $700-800 for what amounts to a new Cord steering wheel. It's guaranteed forever. (I guess that means as long as the company is in business, but speaks to their confidence.)

Right now we're talking about the smooth-rimmed 810 version, but no reason we can't do an 812 project too.

How about you guys who know more about this than I do jumping in here. . .

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
16 Jul 2005 02:00 #3366 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic wheel repair
Hi Bill,
There are some restorers that can dip the wheel in a bowling ball type of material, and then there are the lifetime castings by Quality Recasting, they may be able to custom cast the smooth or lugged Cord grip pattern. Here is a picture of a similar vintage Cadillac wheel being refurbished.

qualityrestorations.com/sCadilla ... Wheels.htm

• Ric Simpson
  • Registered
More
15 Jul 2005 16:24 #3362 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic Steering Wheel
Hi! When I said some years ago, I guess I should have been more specific about when I received my steering wheel. I believe it was in the '50s or early '60s. I don't think it is a replica, rather an odd ball original. Canada received a few "different" Cords. viz: dual sidemount 81? Phaeton; I had some stone guards that were about 5" higher than standard, and I believe I still have a pair of little arm rests; I also had my hands on the brackets that held a rear windshield for the phaeton. As we didn't identify them as Cord, the owner threw them out later that night! along with two small cannisters ... the ones that sit on the upper front king pins!! Those of you who have been to my house know that I haven't thrown anything out, ever! The place is almost full! Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
15 Jul 2005 15:50 #3361 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Cord Steering Wheel
Re: Ric's wheel. JK Howell had a batch of aluminum steering wheels sandcast back in the 70s. They are of the later thicker, fingergrip design. They needed a lot of work to smooth and finish, but they will never crack or craze, of course. (JK lent me one to try out when I lived in Virgina. I left it unpainted. We had an event in Jamestown one Sunday, and the Cord sat in the sun all day. When I got back in the car and laid hands on the wheel, you could hear the sizzle. I wore the scars for several weeks!)

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Jul 2005 03:32 #3359 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Metal Steering Wheel
I believe there are a number of vendors selling aluminum replica wheels. Some prefer them.

I was lucky to find an original in pretty good condition for $400.00. Perhaps by the time I get it restored, I should have bought one of the metal ones for $750.00.

• Ric Simpson
  • Registered
More
15 Jul 2005 02:51 #3358 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic Steering Wheel
Hi! Many years ago, Bill Horning gave me a steering wheel he removed from a wrecked Cord up here in Canada. It is identical in every way to one of the two Cord designs I have come across. However, it is a metal material. It rings when you strike it with a coin! It has no cracks, but the paint is down to the primer. I will probably have it painted with the car. (A process that is taking place as I write this! Wheee!) Any ideas of why it exists? Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Jul 2005 22:17 #3355 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Steering wheel
Thanks for the tips everyone. If I start now, it might be ready by September!

I have a Glenn Pray Steering wheel, a Stan Gilliland horn ring and button, a George Ehresman steering column and horns from George Arakelian. Quite a distinguished crowd!

I have to find a way to make the Cord steering column tie into my GM steering mechanism. Until the original engine goes back in, I am going to let the Cord shifter sit there and look pretty.

I am considering the installation of a hidden Lokar shifter to control the GM Turbohydromatic 400 transmission.

Josh Malks has suggested that I let the Cord shifter control my turn signals! Not a bad idea. May as well do something with it while I am waiting and pondering my next move.

• Jack Richard
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2005 23:26 #3352 by Jack Richard
Replied by Jack Richard on topic Steering wheel restoration
Hi Bill-
I ground out the cracks with a dremel and small round burr (drill) which allowed the epoxy (PC-7) to penetrate into the cracks better, and more clean surface to bond to. I left the epoxy slightly raised, then the next day carefull sanded it down level with the rest of the wheel. I then cleaned the whole wheel, sanded with #150 then #280 sandpaper and used and epoxy primer (PPG DP-40). I then gave it several coats of acrylic urethane primer surfacer and allowed to dry a week. After carful sanding of the whole wheel with #500 paper, I painted with single stage acrylic urethane enamel (same color as used on the car body, steering column and wheel center cover). It looks great and the cracks haven' opened up any more. I do think that with time they may, as the original plastic may continue to shrink, but that's for the the next restoration!
Jack Richard

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
12 Jul 2005 09:08 #3346 by Jazzman
Replied by Jazzman on topic re:steering wheel cracks
Bill I use PC-7 works great Carlton

I have heard there are 29,816 parts to one of these cords. Most of mine came ups..... and didn't fit

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Jul 2005 21:58 #3341 by Bill Hummel
Cord Steering Wheel was created by Bill Hummel
I just picked up a steering column and shifter, plus a steering wheel and parts.

There are 3 cracks in my steering wheel.

Who has a good technique for restoring a steering wheel. Or is this too complicated? Should I just send it to someone to have it restored?

It is an original steering wheel that I just picked up from Glenn Pray. He said to use body filler to fill the cracks. Georges Arakelian and Ehresman are recommending epoxy.

I guess there is more than one way to restore one of these.

I need some ideas.