Skip to main content

I just received my CORD ! do you have some advices ?

• peter812
  • Registered
More
11 Jul 2005 01:44 #3335 by peter812
Qui est plus belle, le tacot ou la jeune fille?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hubert Andre
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
03 Jul 2005 12:33 #3309 by Hubert Andre
Replied by Hubert Andre on topic I just received my CORD ! do you have some advices ?
Hi Stan,

Nice to find you here. The 1902A is still waiting for a restoration and I bought the other one to have the pleasure to drive a cord without waiting too long. I still not decided yet the way to procced this restoration.

I made a 100 mile test with the 1807A. Nice car but with a little problems, like transmission noise when I turn left or in a left bend, and a play in the front wheels. I am not used to Cord, but I think the play is coming from the front wheel bearing. I much check that.

Also, all the lights stopped suddenly. I must check that also.

When on the road, the driving is nice and the having a look on the wonderful dashbord is stunning. The speedometer is false, giving at least 10 miles per hour more than rality (checked with my GPS)
I found a good cruising speed around 2.200 rpm in fourth, giving about 65 to 70 mph.

Even radio is working, but the AM frequencies are no more used in Europe, except for 2 or 3 radio with music for old people. This kind of music (old Jazz and blues) is absolutely fantastic when driving at night on a small road, with all the light of the dashbord in front of you.

But I expect you know all that !

Best regards

Hubert

[img

[img

[img

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 Jul 2005 15:48 #3305 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic I just received my CORD ! do you have some advices ?
Hubert

Congratulations, you should enjoy the green westchester from Knasas. The earliest owner I show for 1897a in H.G. Willis for Yakima, Washington in 1947. This cord was rumored to be owned or used by Father Flanigan of Boys Town Fame, an orphanage in Nebraska.
We used to service the westchester when it live in McPherson, Kansas. I recall we discussed working on 1902A a while back.
As I recall 1807A liked to be shifted conventially and didn't like to be pre-selected.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Hubert Andre
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Jun 2005 18:16 #3303 by Hubert Andre
Replied by Hubert Andre on topic I just received my CORD ! do you have some advices ?
Thanks everbody for all these informations

The first rolling out of the Cord will be in a few minutes !

Also her first miles in Europe I presume :D

• tom clarke
  • Registered
More
30 Jun 2005 17:57 #3302 by tom clarke
Replied by tom clarke on topic Radial Tires
I have to recommend you use radial tires. I have found that they changed the whole handling characteristics of my Cord since I installed them last year. And I believe there is a safety factor involved as well.

Tom Clarke

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
30 Jun 2005 06:54 #3299 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic New to 810/812 Cords
Do not idle the engine for very long with the clutch out in neutral. The transmission oil pump isn't working then and it can cause wear on the transmission bushings. Hold the clutch down if you are going to do so. You can make a stick to fit from the clutch pedal to the bottom of the dash if you have to do so.

Tom Georgeson

• cbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Jun 2005 02:39 #3298 by cbs
Into 1st: Yes: Clutch pedal down, select gear
No: Select gear, depress clutch pedal
Must be dead stop or last 1/2 wheel rotation
NO 2nd to 1st downshifting allowed.
Into 2nd: OK either way.
Do not select 2nd from 3rd unless going very slow. <10 MPH.
Into 3rd: OK either way.
Try to stay in 3rd frequently, in city, unless you can slow down
to <10 MPH for 2nd.
Into 4th: Either way OK. Very high speeds possible!
Reverse: Dead stop or last 1/2 wheel rotatation only, see 1st gear.

Imagine that the gears are made of glass and will unexpectedly shatter and you'll never have a problem.

Do not allow anyone else to drive the car, including service people, unless they are fully checked out, trustworthy and able to repair their damage.

• Hubert Andre
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Jun 2005 10:55 #3294 by Hubert Andre
Thanks for these informations.

I will lubricate everything and change engine and transmission oil before driving the car. Is it a special oil for the transmission, or a standard oil for mechanical transmission ???

I bought this car from a American classic car dealer in march. Is this car and her history known from the ACD club ????

Thanks

Hubert

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
28 Jun 2005 21:03 #3292 by Josh Malks
"Normal" on Cords is a range.

Engine temp on the highway can be 160 to 180. In slow traffic it will creep up toward 200 or more in the summer.

Good oil pressure is 40# hot on the highway (about 2000 rpm). Pressure will fall at idle (600-700 rpm) but should be 10# or higher hot.

Be sure to check transmssion lube level and brake fluid level. Universal joints need lube too, unless they are Richardson conversions (strongly advised.) Steering box too.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Hubert Andre
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
28 Jun 2005 18:30 #3289 by Hubert Andre
I have two Cords 810, but never drove one, since the first one needs a complete restoration (1902A), and the second one I purchased (from Hymans LTD) just arrived this morning from USA (1807A)

I need to get new registration plates to drive it on the road, wich will take me a few days, but I have already started the engine and checked the shifting in 1st and reverse gear ! Wonderful ! Everything seems working fine on this car !

Since I never drove a Cord in my life, do you have some advice before I put it on the road ?

What is a normal water temperature ? What is a normal oil pressure ?

Thanks

Hubert

[img